Chapter 20

They're journey was long, but soon, they reached what remained of the forest of Fangorn. (Y/n) could feel unease pass through the men when the trees began to groan around them, but none moved. When they got closer to the border of Isengard, they heard... laughing?

Merry and Pippin sat on the broken wall, smoking their pipes and eating quite a bit of food. They laughed and cheered when they saw the incoming horses, and Merry stood up to greet them in a grand way.

"Welcome, my lords and lady, to Isengard!" he said, and gestured to the demolished area behind him.

"You young rascals!" Gimli shouted as though he were angry, when (Y/n) could feel he was relieved they were okay. She smiled, and looked to Aragorn, who also had quite the large grin on his face. "A merry hunt you've led us on, and now we find you... feasting and... and smoking!"

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well-earned comforts." Pippin said matter-of-factly. "The salted pork is particularly good."

"Salted pork?" Gimli questioned, now calm and craving for the meat. Gandalf merely shook his head and mumbled, "hobbits", earning quite the laugh from (Y/n).

"We're under orders from Treebeard who's taken over management of Isengard." Merry claimed, and they were led inside to the water-filled tower. Their horses were ankle deep. Merry climbed on a horse with (Y/n), and Pippin with Aragorn.

"Goodness, Merry, I'm so glad you and Pip are all right." (Y/n) said as Merry climbed on Nayla behind her.

"You can't get rid of us two so easily." he said boastfully, and she laughed.

"Young Master Gandalf. I'm glad you've come." a large Ent greeted as they neared Saruman's tower. (Y/n) assumed this was Treebeard. "Wood and water, stock and stone I can master. But there is a wizard to manage here, locked in his tower."

"Show yourself." Aragorn muttered.

"Be careful." Gandalf said. "Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous."

"Well, let's just have his head and be done with it." Gimli said, and (Y/n) nearly agreed. But, they had to get all the information they could from him first, then have his head.

"No. We need him alive." Gandalf dismissed. "We need him to talk."

"You have fought many wars and slain many men, Théoden King, and made peace afterwards." they all heard Saruman say, and looked up to the top of the tower, where he was standing and looking down at the group. "Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace, you and I?"

"We shall have peace." Théoden said, but (Y/n) could sense his rising anger at the once great wizard. "We shall have peace... when you answer for the burning of the Westfold, and the children that lie dead there! We shall have peace when the lives of the soldiers whose bodies were hewn even as they lay dead against the gates of the Hornburg, are avenged! When you hang from a gibbet for the sport of your own crows...we shall have peace."

"Gibbets and crows? Dotard!" Saruman growled. "What do you want, Gandalf Greyhame? Let me guess. The Key of Orthanc. Or perhaps the Keys of Barad-dûr itself, along with the crowns of the seven kings and the rods of the Five Wizards!"

"Your treachery has already cost many lives. Thousands more are now at risk. But you could save them, Saruman." Gandalf said. "You were deep in the enemy's counsel."

"So you have come here for information. I have some for you." Saruman lifted a black orb in his hand, the Palantir. (Y/n) immediately felt the darkness flowing from it. "Something festers in the heart of Middle-Earth. Something that you have failed to see. But the Great Eye has seen it. Even now he presses his advantage. His attack will come soon. You're all going to die... all but one. But you know this, don't you, Gandalf?"