Chapter 12

The quartet began their journey for Merry and Pippin, not stopping to rest nor eat. The Uruk-hai had a head start on them, so they had to catch up quickly, or they would never be able to reach them. Aragorn was tracking them using his skills. They had stopped for a moment, and he bent down to rest his head against the bare rock, feeling the tremors from the footsteps of the Uruks.

"Their pace has quickened." he muttered, opening his eyes. He raised his head and stood. "They must have caught our scent. Hurry!"

Legolas was close behind, then (Y/n). She breathed heavily, normally a sprinter and not long-distance runner. However, she would not stop until they found Merry and Pippin. She couldn't leave those sweet hobbits to whatever fate awaited them.

"Come on, Gimli!" Legolas called back to the dwarf, who was having the most trouble.

"Three days and nights pursuit. No food. No rest. And no sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell." Gimli complained, stopping for only a moment to catch his breath before continuing to run after the other three taller beings.

"We're catching up, Gimli. Let's go!" (Y/n) ushered the dwarf, running after Aragorn. He seemed to have no limit to how far he could run.

They followed the obvious footprints of the Uruk-hai, the large and wide imprints in the ground making it easy to track them. In the grass, Aragorn bent down and found one of the leaf brooches from Lothlórien, stomped into the ground.

"Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall." Aragorn said, looking at the pendant.

"They may yet be alive." Legolas looked down at the brooch in the ranger's hand.

"They are. I can feel it. We're getting close." (Y/n) claimed, looking out at the path before them.

"Less than a day ahead of us. Come." Aragorn stood and they continued. However, Gimli was still having some struggle. He jumped down and rolled into the path they were on, groaning.

"Come, Gimli! We're gaining on them!" Legolas shouted, and Gimli stood and followed.

"I'm wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!" Gimli called to the elf, and (Y/n) laughed, finding something in common with the dwarves.

Coming up to a large pile of rock, they looked out at the realm they had just entered, the sun shining over the valley before them. "Rohan. Home of the Horse-lords." Aragorn said as he gazed at the earth. "There's something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures. Sets its will against us." Legolas had run ahead slightly to look out with his enhanced eyesight at the terrain before them. "Legolas! What do your elf eyes see?" Aragorn called.

"The Uruks turn northeast." the elf called back, seeing the dust kick-up from the Uruk-hai running. "They are taking the hobbits to Isengard!"

"Saruman." Aragorn said, and (Y/n) huffed in anger at the name.

"We must get to them. Come on!" she said, and continued running.

"Wait, (Y/n)!" Aragorn called, running after her. Gimli sighed, picked up his axe, and followed.

"We have no time to wait, Aragorn. If Merry and Pippin are taken to Saruman, it will surely be the end for them." the witch said, not stopping her pursuit. Legolas had joined them, and now she ran with more vigor than before.

"Keep breathing. That's the key. Breathe. Ohh..." Gimli kept muttering to himself.

"You can do it, Gimli." (Y/n) called back to the dwarf, for she now led the run, Aragorn close behind her.