Chapter 22: Beautiful Girl

Chapter 22

Harry's POV

The doctor's voice rang in my head as he explained the results of the tests.

"It's your kidneys. They seem to be... shutting down." His voice became quieter with every word. 

"What does that mean, exactly?" I choked out. 

He let out a sigh before finally speaking. "If her kidneys shut down, she will die." The words stabbed me like knives. My chest began to tighten and I found it hard to breathe. I looked over to Lindsay and all she did was simply nod at the doctor, almost like it wasn't a surprise to her. 

"Isn't there something you can do?" I could feel my throat shutting closed more. 

"At this point... no." He avoided my gaze as I stared right through him, trying to wrap my head around all of it. I felt frustrated and angry at his response and I jumped to my feet. 

"NO?!?! You're telling me that she is dying and you won't do anything?" I raised my voice. I began to pace back and forth, not being able to stand still, like I was going to explode. 

"Harry." Lindsay said sternly, tugging at my arm as I paced by her. 

"It's not that we won't do anything. Her condition increased radically before we could catch it. If we do any kind of treatment at this point, it could only make her weaker. I'm sorry, Lindsay." 

She nodded. "Can you excuse us, please?" Her soft voice a whisper as she spoke. He nodded and walked out of the room. 

She pulled back the covers and patted the spot next to her. I shook my head, biting my bottom lip, trying not to burst into tears. 

"Please?" She whispered, pleading me to come over to her. She pouted out her bottom lip. I walked over to her and sat down on the bed next to her. "It's okay, Harry." She grasped my face in her hands. I could tell she was trying to fight back tears, but I didn't want her trying to be strong for me. 

"How is this okay? You look as if you were expecting this?" I questioned.

"I was." My brow furrowed at her and she continued. "The minute he told me that he wanted to run more tests, I knew something was up. You probably don't know this, but my dad was a doctor. The tests they did on me are expensive. They wouldn't run them unless they absolutely needed to." Her thumbs slowly brushed away the tears rolling down my face. 

"No, this isn't happening." I shut my eyes tight and shook my head, trying to shake it all away. 

"Harry, there's nothing you can do. All we can do is spend what time we have left together." She leaned forward pressing her forehead to mine. "I love you." She whispered, her eyes closed. 

"I love you, too."

....

"Her kidneys are what?" Liam whispered in astonishment. 

"Shutting down. The doctor says they can't do anything." The faces of my four best friends stared at me, their mouths hanging open in shock. We sat in the hospital cafeteria. The walls were a dull blue and the air smelled of burnt grilled cheese. I sipped the steaming hot tea sitting in front of me. 

"So what's going to happen now?" Louis whispered.

"I don't know." I sighed. I glanced at my phone. 30 minutes since I left Lindsay in her room. With every minute passing, I felt the weight on my chest getting heavier, contricting my breathing. "I need to get back to her." The boys all nodded and I got up from my chair. I walked out of the cafeteria room and up to her room. The hallways were cold and I wrapped my jacket tighter around me, crossing my arms over my chest. 

I walked into her room to find she wasn't in her bed. Instead she sat in the chair by the window. Her legs curled to her chest, a blanket tightly wrapped around her frail body. She stared out the window as the sun shined brightly through the dusty white blinds. She held a cup of water in her hands. Her shoulders were shaking and I could tell she was crying. 

I slowly walked over to her. She looked up at me, her wet eyelashes fluttering, tears sliding down her cheeks. 

I took the cup from her hand and placed it on the table. I picked her up and sat in the chair, placing her on my lap. She nestled farther into my chest. I could feel her sobs deepen and I hugged her tightly. I didn't want anything to take my girl away. 

My beautiful girl. 

___________________________________________________

This is REALLY short and I am sorry... Thanks for reading! Vote, comment, and fan! (: 

Now, I have geometry homework to do. SEE... this is how important you are to me. I put off my geometry homework to give you guys an update. (: I love y'all! *kisses*