Chapter 5

"Kaylin, wait up!" a voice calls behind me late Friday morning just as I walk around a corner near my Spanish 1 classroom

"Oh, hey," I smile after I turn to find Lucas walking towards me. I'm wearing my alps purple relaxed-fit short flutter lace trim sleeve peplum top with a round lace neckline and a keyhole button back and my light blue washed mid-rise cropped denim skinny jeans with rips on the front and frayed hemlines. I've slid my feet into my off-white gladiator strappy zip-up sandals with two ankle straps, multiple crisscross straps across the top and a single toe band strap and round open toes while my backpack is on my right shoulder. My hair is pulled up in a high ponytail, flashing my silver oval hoops that widen at the bottom to form a triangular silhouette while my slightly oversized shine finished metal vintage crystal cat eye sunglasses that have a brown metal inlay around the brown gradient lenses rest on the top of my head.

"Hey," he replies while he catches up to me. He is dressed in his ardent short sleeve henley top with a button-up neckline which he has paired with his faded dark blue washed pair of low-rise relaxed straight denim jeans. His cowboy boots are tucked underneath his jeans while he has his gray baseball cap that has a black Ariat seal in the bottom left corner and black mesh snapback on the top of his head.

The past few days, we've only had brief run-ins between classes, so we've managed to stay out of the school gossip, which has been nice.

Even though I have tried to ignore it, I can't help but feel giddy around Lucas. He radiates a calming presence, something I least expected from someone of his popularity status, but it has been nice being around him, I can't lie about that.

"What's up?" I ask, adjusting the shoulder strap of my backpack.

"Nothing, I just thought I could walk with you to class."

"We're right down the hall," I chuckle, knowing we have separate Spanish classes in the next couple of minutes.

"So? Hasn't stopped me before."

"Okay, fair point. Come on," I say as I turn back around to walk to our next classes.

"I guess we're getting to mine first today," Lucas says once we reach his Spanish 2 class that's a few doors down and across the hallway from my Spanish 1 class.

"That means I walked you to class today," I joke.

"Oh yeah? Are you sure about that?" Lucas asks me.

"Well, we did get to yours first."

"So? I haven't walked in yet. Besides, I think I still have time to walk you to yours."

"Okay fine, bring it on. We don't have much time."

"I guess that means we gotta hurry up Podmore," he says as he starts walking. "See? Made it with a minute to spare," he adds right before the one-minute warning bell rings.