Chapter 17

"I'm a little wild child and a homing pigeon/Caravan and an empty kitchen/Bare feet on the tile with my head up in the clouds/One heart going both directions/One love and a couple of questions/Am I settling up/Or settling down?/Am I settling up/Or...

"I'm a little wild child and a homing pigeon/Caravan and an empty kitchen/Bare feet on the tile with my head up in the clouds/One heart going both directions/One love and a couple of questions/Am I settling up/Or settling down?/Am I settling up/Or settling down?" I semi-decently sing along to Miranda Lambert's "Settling Down" which is blasting through my pink JBL Flip 5 bluetooth speaker I have sitting on my bathroom counter the next night as I'm getting ready for my date with Lucas.

I curl the last section of my hair using my white and gold Kristin Ess one-and-a-quarter inch curling iron, dressed in my medium heather gray short sleeve t-shirt with a v-neckline and my black pair of shorts with an elastic waistband and zip-up front pockets. I look through my hair and find I didn't miss any pieces so I turn off my curling iron so I pick up my can of dry finish working texture spray and spritz it into my hair. I start my makeup and when I'm finished about thirty minutes later, I turn down my speaker volume and turn it off before I head into my bedroom to finish getting ready, Roxy following me.

I change into my white, bright blue and peach tropical printed spaghetti strap tank top with a v-neckline, a strappy x-back and a tiered hemline I've paired with my light blue washed mid-thigh length denim skirt with a raw hemline. I slide my feet inside of my ibiza nude pair of wedges with ankle straps, t-straps, three overlapping toe bands and four-inch heels before I slip my gold wire drop earrings with a light rose quartz semi-precious stone center into my earlobes. I move to stand in front of my floor length mirror and I take some selfies on my phone as the doorbell rings, Roxy bolting from my room in barking fit.

"Kaylin, Lucas is here!" my mom calls from the bottom of the stairs after answering the front door.

"Be right there!" I call, walking over to my bed and pick up my lilac satchel which has handles and a removable crossbody strap before I go downstairs. "Hey," I say as I walk into the great room where my parents, my extended family, and Lucas are all sitting together on the sectional.

In our great room there is a large beige sectional which has a right sided chaise and five more cushions and an eight-by-nine rug that has different hues of silver and light grey in a Persian-inspired design. There is a rustic light gray round coffee table and a matching side table on the left-hand side and a long antique white plank style console table with four drawers and a bottom shelf that is along the backside of the sectional while our large flat screen inch TV is mounted up on the wall above the stone fireplace.

"Hi," Lucas responds with a smile while he stands up. He is wearing his reddish pink Venice burnout short sleeve t-shirt that has a notch neck he has paired with his dark blue washed pair of low-rise slim bootcut denim jeans and his boots. "You look great," he smirks since we unintentionally match.

"Thank you," I giggle as he reaches for my hand to hook my pinky with one of his.

"Y'all are so damn cute," my great-aunt chuckles.

"Oh my God," I chuckle, a blush flooding my cheeks.

"I'm just speaking the truth honey," she tells me.