Chapter 12

Almost two weeks later, on the third Saturday in May, it's mid-afternoon so I'm up north at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland for the Preakness Stakes weekend, well, just Saturday since I got in last night so I missed Friday's Black-E...

Almost two weeks later, on the third Saturday in May, it's mid-afternoon so I'm up north at the Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore, Maryland for the Preakness Stakes weekend, well, just Saturday since I got in last night so I missed Friday's Black-Eyed Susan Stakes Day.

The Black-Eyed Susan Stakes is a mile-and-an-eighth dirt race for three-year-old fillies, and it's always run the day before the Preakness Stakes just like the Oaks and the Derby. Yesterday, Miss Marissa won the 96th running of the race by less than a length over the favorite Bonny South who had been in last for most of the race.

My mom and I flew out from Louisville together early yesterday evening after I got out of school since we only have a few horses racing today. Lucas and Tyler also happened to be on the same flight as us which was kind of fun. We weren't seated close enough to each other for it to matter, so we just stole glances here and there and walked around the airports together.

My parents have Burgundy Rose running in a few minutes in the $150,000 Gallorette Stakes, a mile-and-a-sixteenth turf race for three-year-old fillies and older, Hard on the Rocks is in the $250,000 Dixie Stakes, a mile-and-an-eighth turf race for three-year-olds and older while Player will finish out our day in the Preakness Stakes.

I haven't seen Lucas yet today, but we have been texting on and off though since he woke up this morning. I've noticed over the past month or so, Lucas loves his sleep, even more than I do, he's always the one up last between the two of us, even over the weekends when we're both home helping out at the farms.

The past week-and-a-half or so have been going great with Lucas and I. The two for us, mainly me, have become a little more touchy feely at school, sharing slightly longer kisses, despite the prying eyes. The gossip surrounding us hasn't stopped, so I'd be lying if I said I wasn't feeling nervous, as happy as I am with Lucas. So, I'm silently waiting for the other bomb to drop since both of our exes are lingering around campus, probably plotting their next moves together, but so far, it's been quiet from them, which worries me more than them trying to create drama.

Lucas came over on Sunday and this time we stayed in the house, downstairs in the great room per my mother's condition of letting us hang out inside by ourselves, except for when she randomly came in and checked on us. We had decided to start watching Smallville as a happy medium between us since we have different tastes in shows and movies, and I wasn't ready to tell him about my lack of knowledge about football when he suggested we turn on something to do with football. We watched the first four episodes of Smallville and then he left in the late afternoon before my dad came in for the night from the barns, successfully avoiding any more embarrassing moments, for the time being, I'm sure.

I'm currently sitting up in the grandstands with both my parents, Kyle and Peyton, watching Alexis guide Burgundy Rose into the starting gate currently set on the turf course for the Gallorette Stakes.

Burgundy Rose is a three-year-old dark bay filly who has a black mane and tail. My parents bought her when she was a yearling from an auction and she's had a decent career so far.