Chapter 19

"Knock knock," my mom voices while she pushes open my bedroom door eleven days later back home in Lexington where I'm getting ready for Aubrey's sixteenth birthday party at Savannah's house since her parents are working and she got her sister out ...

"Knock knock," my mom voices while she pushes open my bedroom door eleven days later back home in Lexington where I'm getting ready for Aubrey's sixteenth birthday party at Savannah's house since her parents are working and she got her sister out of the house for most of the day.

"Yeah," I reply, turning around in my olive green sleeveless a-line, mid-thigh length dress which has a scoop neckline, a layered trim at hemline and a thin brown faux-leather belt at my waistline. I straightened my hair and pulled it up into a high ponytail, letting my silver hammered circular hoops dangle free of any hair from my earlobes.

"Lucas is on his way, right?"

"Yeah, he just texted me saying he's like five minutes out."

Lucas is picking me up and we're going to swing by and grab Aubrey since Hayden's house is within about ten minutes of Savannah's so it would be silly for him to come all of the way out here to pick her up just to turn around to go back.

"Okay, well you dad is in a good mood for the moment so I'd hustle to keep him that way for when Lucas gets here."

"Okay, I'll be down in a sec," I giggle.

"Alright," she says before turning to leave my room.

I pick my cognac satchel which has a front pocket and a magnetic top closure up off my bed before grabbing my brown boots that have double rose scallops, embroidery on the fifteen-inch shafts, snip toes and two-inch western heels off my floor beside my door, Roxy trotting out in front of me.

"Ding dong," rings the doorbell just a few minutes later, Roxy barking her head off as she runs to the front door from where we're sitting in the great room.

"Roxy, sit," I voice, correcting her naughty behavior. "Good," I add when she puts her butt fully on the hard flooring. "Hi," I smile warmly up at Lucas after I unlock and open the front door to find him standing on my front porch.

"Hi, you look great," Lucas says to me while he steps inside. He is wearing his mauve tank top that has a round neckline he has paired with his dark blue washed pair of low-rise tapered leg denim jeans and his brown cowboy boots.

"Thank you," I respond, stretching up onto my tiptoes since I'm still barefoot to give him a quick kiss knowing my parents can see us.

"You're welcome." he smiles, returning the kiss, intertwining his left hand with mine before we walk down the hall to join my parents. "Hello Mr. and Mrs. Podmore," he adds to my parents with a smile as we stop behind the side of the sectional.

"Hi Lucas," my mom answers, returning the smile.

"Hello Lucas," my dad says, surprising us since my dad has never greeted Lucas with his name before, even at graduation in front of our families.

"Are you ready to go?" Lucas asks me.

"I just need to put my boots on," I answer.

"Okay," he replies before I pull him to the dining room where I placed my things after I came downstairs.