Chapter 10

Early Friday afternoon, five days later, I'm over at Churchill Downs with my parents, Kyle, Peyton Moore, who is Jeremy's longtime girlfriend, and we're up in our reserved seats in the grandstands, watching a field of horses' load into the startin...

Early Friday afternoon, five days later, I'm over at Churchill Downs with my parents, Kyle, Peyton Moore, who is Jeremy's longtime girlfriend, and we're up in our reserved seats in the grandstands, watching a field of horses' load into the starting gate for the Edgewood Stakes.

The Edgewood Stakes is a mile-and-a-sixteenth race over Churchill Downs turf track that is seven-eighths of a mile long. It's for three-year-old's and has a purse of $200,000 and my parent's colt, Trick N' Treat is racing in it.

About a month ago, my parents had brought Magic, Player, Trick N' Treat, O'Malley, Dusty Moment and Dazzling Daze over here for Kyle so they could settle in before starting their training, especially Magic since she isn't used to track living, but Kyle has told us she has been adjusting well.

Player's my parent's only horse running in the Kentucky Derby, Moment is racing in the Derby City Distaff Stakes, a race that is for four-year-old mares and older that is seven furlongs long over the dirt and has a $300,000 purse. O'Malley will run in the Old Forester Turf Classic Stakes, $500,000 one-and-one-eighth of a mile on the turf for four-year-old's and older. Dazzling Daze's running in the $1,250,000 Kentucky Oaks, a mile-and-an-eighth dirt race for three-year-old fillies. The Oaks acts as the fillies Kentucky Derby since it's harder for fillies to outrun the colts for a spot in the Derby. Magic's race is still almost a month and a half out, but she needed the most preparation time to make sure she could handle her new lifestyle.

Trick N' Treat is a dapple-gray colt who has a light gray mane and tail and two front black fetlocks. His sire is 2011 stallion Mayhem Tricks and his dam is 2010 mare Gracie Bell and he's their first foal together.

O'Malley's a four-year-old stallion who's also a dapple gray, but he has a black mane and tail. His sire's our 2010 stallion Jazzy Jasper and his dam's also Gracie Bell, making him Trick N' Treat's older half-brother.

Dusty Moment is a four-year-old liver chestnut mare who has a copper mane and a matching tail. Her sire is Dylan's Spirit while her dam is Pixie Dust, which makes her Heart Over Mind's older half-sister.

"And away they go in the Edgewood Stakes!" the announcer calls out as the starting gates open. "It looks like Locomotion will take the early lead, with Sword Saint on his heels and Trick N' Treat in third," he adds, our silks made up of a mauve jacket with a large white diamond sleeves with three white upward chevron stripes and the mauve cap with a white diamond on top - paired with the white pants everyone else uses - unmissable as the field runs down the track.

Locomotion is a dark bay colt who has a black mane and tail and black stockings on both of his left legs and he's owned by Lucas's parents, Jason and Kelley.

"Come on T, run boy!" I shout while watching the field of nine horses move through the turn for home. I'm wearing my light pink sleeveless skater dress that has a darker pink lace overlay, a round neckline, scalloped armholes and a keyhole back as well as my brown pair of braided strappy sandals which have back zip-up closures and toe bands. My slightly oversized shine finished metal ivory cat eye sunglasses with a gold metal inlay around the wine gradient lenses are covering my eyes. I've pulled my hair back up into a ponytail, but I've taken chunks from the side and twisted them into a crown along the sides of my head, exposing my silver textured metallic kite drop earrings in a cascading arrangement while I have my fawn crossbody bag which has a triple entry top and a partial chain link shoulder strap resting on the top of my lap.