Chapter 8

This past week at school has been somehow lacking in the drama department, not that I'm complaining

Nichole has been MIA, and Jesse is still in the wind as well, but I know he has to know what has been going on with Lucas and I, both of which I've found to be weird, but I'm definitely not going to question it.

I feel better after talking with both my mom and Lucas Monday night. I know I didn't, well, don't have much of a right to ask Lucas to be open with me since we're barely even dating, if that's what you can call what we're doing, but I think it went okay. I was surprised when Lucas agreed to try to be more open with me, but I think it helped when I said I would try to as well.

I've spent the week trying my best to ignore all of the gossip floating around school about Lucas and I. I've also been talking with the girls about how I feel about everything and they said the same thing my mom did, if I want to be with Lucas, be with him, as well as the fact that they will be there for me no matter what I decide to do.

The more time I spend with Lucas, talking with him, laughing with, or at, him, the more I am starting to enjoy the thought of wanting to be in an actual relationship with Lucas.

Lucas and I have been back to our normal friendly selves, messaging each other every day and meeting up before and during school, mainly during passing periods and a couple of times after we ate our lunches. We even shared a quick exchange yesterday after school ended when I was at my locker, the two of us confirming our plans for today.

So, this afternoon, I'm upstairs in my bedroom, sitting at my window, scrolling through my Instagram feed when I find Lucas's Silverado driving up to the front of my house, so I leap up and hurry down the stairs.

My mom was able to calm my dad down after the fiasco of Monday night's dinner and she managed to get him to be somewhat okay with the idea of Lucas and I dating. She okayed us hanging out here at our property this weekend, even with the risk of bumping into my dad and the farm being busy with Derby weekend coming up next weekend. Unfortunately, my mom has some errands to do today, but she should be back before Lucas leaves to play referee if my dad decides to come find the two of us.

When I walk out through the front door, Lucas is closing the door to his truck and flipping his keys up into a balled fist.

"Hey Kayl," Lucas smiles when he reaches the bottom steps of the front porch. He is wearing his gray plaid long sleeve button-down top which has chest pockets he's rolled the sleeves of to his elbows he's paired with his dark blue washed pair of bootcut denim jeans, his seemingly go-to pair of brown cowboy boots as well as his gray Ariat seal baseball cap.

"Hey," I smile as we hug, feeling short compared to him since my paddock boots are shorter than most of the other pairs of shoes I've worn around him. I'm dressed in my conch shell racerback tank top that has a scoop neckline and double crisscross straps that create a keyhole back I have paired with my charcoal gray high-rise riding tights that have a black strip on the waistband and the thighs, a wide waistband, a zip-up pocket at the back of the waistband, a right front pocket and a rubberized grip at the knees. My hair is back in a braid and I have my slightly oversized metal matte black square sunglasses with gray lenses covering my eyes already.