Chapter 13

Early Sunday afternoon, two weeks later, it's Memorial Day weekend so it is a three-day weekend even though school ends for summer vacation on Wednesday and Lucas invited me to come hang out over at Misty River for the day to see his family's farm...

Early Sunday afternoon, two weeks later, it's Memorial Day weekend so it is a three-day weekend even though school ends for summer vacation on Wednesday and Lucas invited me to come hang out over at Misty River for the day to see his family's farm and spend most of the day with him since we've only been at mine.

I point my mom's Tahoe up the drive of Misty River Ranch to drive past the paddocks with horses in them before I park in front of Lucas's gray panel and darker gray brick two-story Craftsman house with a small front porch that runs along the majority of the front of the house to their three-car front entrance garage which sits a bit farther forward than the house itself.

I convinced my mom to let me drive since I have my learners permit and need the practice because we have been so busy lately and I want to get my license before school starts up next year which only gives me a couple weeks to get my license after my birthday.

"Have fun, and please behave," my mom says while we unbuckle our seatbelts.

"I will," I respond as we both climb out. I'm dressed in my white off-the-shoulder short crochet sleeve romper with an elastic waistline while my feet are slipped inside my brown pair of strappy braided back zip-up sandals with crossed toe-bands. I kept my hair natural, but pulled it up into a high ponytail so my silver medium sized open geometric hoops are exposed. I have my lilac satchel slung on my shoulder and my oversized polished ultra violet round sunglasses with gray lenses atop of my head. I didn't want to look like a slob because I wasn't sure what we'd be doing and I wasn't going to look like a slob around him or his family.

"Let me know if I need to pick you up," she tells me as I hand over her key when we meet at the front of her SUV.

"Lucas is bringing me home," I remind her.

"I know, just let me know if things change."

"Okay. Bye mom," I smile, turning to walk over to the front porch. I'm just about to knock on their front door after my mom starts to drive away when Lucas opens the door.

"Hi." he smiles. He's wearing his mauve tank top with a round neckline, his dark blue washed pair of low-rise slim-fit denim jeans and his brown cowboy boots.

"Hi," I smile back at him.

"Come on in," he tells me, stepping aside so I can walk inside the house, my sandals hitting the medium brown hardwood floors. He closes the door behind me before he grabs my left hand, pulling me closer to kiss me. "How are you?" he asks when I pull away.

"Hm, I'm good," I reply, stretching onto my tiptoes to kiss him back, resting my right hand on the side of his face. "You?"

"Very good," he smiles. "Do you want a tour of the house now or do you want to look around the ranch first?"

"Maybe the tour and then we can hang out here the rest of the day?"

"Okay," he says, giving me another kiss. "Come on, let's go," he adds before he opens the front door while I place my purse down on the bench they have in their entryway with two wire racks stacked underneath the dark brown seat of the bench with metal framing.