Chapter 16

The next afternoon, I'm just about done getting cleaned up from working the yearlings and helping down in the barns earlier this morning, partially dreading this afternoon because Lucas is coming over today, like we had planned on earlier in the week

I didn't end up calling him last night when I got home from dinner after the argument with my sister kept creeping into the back of my head whenever I thought about him or calling him. I'm even thinking about it when my phone vibrates in my hand, causing me to flip it over to unlock it, finding a text message from Lucas.

I claimed I was exhausted from the lack of sleep from spending Wednesday with the girls, graduation yesterday, working this morning and having to get cleaned up before he came over. I think I managed to play off my nerves well though because he is still acting normal towards me, even if it is through texts.

Lucas [05/29/2020 1:33 PM]: Pulling into the drive!

Kaylin [05/29/2020 1:34 PM]: Okay! (:

I leave my room, dressed in my cream woven flowy camisole top that has a keyhole front and a keyhole back I have paired with my light blue washed pair of mid-rise denim shorts that have distressed accents and rolled cuffs. I left my hair down after straightening it to hide my silver cubic zirconia pave set studs that adorn my ears. 

I reach the bottom of the staircase when I hear a car door shut with Roxy hot on my heels since she's been by herself most of the day with my parents down in the barns, Kimberly is with Ryan while my extended family is all out having a day with themselves.

"Hey," Lucas smiles when I open my door. He's wearing his dark teal short sleeve top with a crew neckline he's paired with his very dark blue washed pair of relaxed-fit low-rise denim jeans and his everyday boots.

"Hi, come on in," I reply, opening the door wider after I grab a hold of Roxy's collar.

"Thanks," he smiles, closing the door behind him. "Is anyone in the house?"

"Nope, we got the house to ourselves for a little while."

"Good," he says, towering over me since I'm barefoot, as he pulls me up onto my tiptoes to give me a deep kiss. "I've been wanting to do that since I saw you yesterday."

"Sorry," I smirk, trying not to make it obvious that something's bothering me while I kiss him back, his presence somehow managing to distract me from my negative thoughts. 

"Don't be," he sighs after I pull away. "What are we gonna do?"

"I don't know, but if we hang out down here or in the bonus room, we should be okay, my room is a bit iffy in case my dad makes an impromptu appearance. Mom said she was going to try to keep him out of the house and that we just had to keep doors open if we went upstairs so she can hear us whenever she makes impromptu checks."

"Yeah, that's fair. Do you wanna watch something? I think it's safe to guess that you don't have any video games," he says as we climb the stairs to the second floor.