Chapter 28

I was really happy that May liked me so much. After we finished breakfast, we made our way to the park where we had been with MJ and Ned once.

Once there, we walked hand in hand along random paths. We didn't have a goal, we just wanted to spend time together. Now that we were among ourselves, we at least had the opportunity to talk long and undisturbed. After a while I was silent for a few minutes.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I think I just have to get used to this. About us."

"You have to get used to me?", he asked with a laugh.

"You know I don't mean that in this way."

He stopped, stood across from me and took both of my hands.

"I know, but I also know that you are sometimes quite closed and don't let anyone get to you. It's okay if you don't always want to tell me everything, but I really wish we could be honest with each other. You know you can tell me anything and trust me. You have always been able to do that, and now more than ever."

I smiled at him uncertainly. I didn't really know what to answer, such conversations were new to me.

"It's ok, you don't have to say anything," he said as if he could read my mind and hugged me, then we went on.

We came to a bench and sat down. Or rather, Peter sat down and I lay on my back on the bench and my head in his lap. So I could look up at his face.

"Lyra?"

"Yes."

"I wanted to ask you something. When you found out I'm Spider-Man, why didn't you reveal it. I mean we were friends, but not that good and you would have made it big as the girl unmasked Spider-Man. So why didn't you?"

"Had I done that, I would have ruined your life. I would have put you and everyone close to you in danger and I don't know why, but you were important to me from the start. No matter what happens to us, I'll always keep your secret."

Peter leaned over me and kissed my forehead. We sat there for a long time and we spent the rest of the day and the next day together.