Chapter 53

-Peter-

As announced, Ned picked me up and took me to school first. We didn't go in, we couldn't risk being sent to class.

“Does that seem familiar to you?”

“No, I don't recognize anything.”

I really didn't recognize anything. Ned took me home with him, showed me a café where we were more often with our friends, and showed me pictures of places and people I knew on his cell phone, but none of that worked.
After a few hours, Lyra came to relieve Ned. I really hoped she would be able to help me remember. That emptiness in my head was terrible.

I also didn't remember the places she took me to.

“There is one last place we could try.”

“I'll take every chance I get.“

She led me back to the school, in a little garden behind the building.

"Does this place mean anything to you?"

"No, I'm sorry."

Lyra's expression suddenly seemed somehow sad and for some reason I knew why.

“It's not just any place we often go to with our friends, is it? It only has something to do with us, doesn't it? ”

She nodded and sat down on a bench. We sat next to each other, discouraged.

“I'm really sorry I can't remember.”

“It's not your fault.”

“We'll manage it, I'll remember! Can I try something to remember? Can I try to remember you?”

“Yes.”

She sat expectantly in front of me and I moved closer to her. I put my hands on her cheeks, stroked her face and ran through her hair, then I made up my mind and kissed her. I kissed her for a long time, but that didn't bring my memory back either.

“And?”

“Nothing, I still don't remember, but I feel something. Apparently my feelings don't have much to do with my memory, because if they did, I wouldn't feel anything now. I can feel that I love you very, very much, feel how important you are to me! That's progress.”

“Yes it is, that's good. Hopefully there will be more such progress.”

That was really good, it was a relief to at least feel connected to her. On the way back to Stark, she explained to me that we weren't done for today. She told me to wait in front of the door and then ran inside. After a few minutes she came back with a backpack over her shoulder and then we climbed the fire escape onto the roof of a tall building nearby. Once at the top, she opened the backpack and pulled out the Spider-Man suit and another suit. She tossed it to me.

“Get dressed!”

“What? Here? I don't even know how to deal with it.”

“That's exactly what I'm going to show you now, so let's go.”

We both slipped into our suits.

"Okay look .." She came over to me, grabbed my arm and showed me how to shoot my webs. "... so it goes and now try to shoot me with your webs."

Lyra moved a few meters away and waited for my first attempts. I wasn't doing very well and she was able to dodge my nets with just small movements. She started laughing.

"Oh man! Let's see if you can at least still fight.”

Lyra attacked me, she was really good, but I was able to fend off her punches and kicks. She stumbled back briefly and so I even managed to hit her wrist with a web, but this time she was faster. In a flash she jerked her arm back, I hadn't released the web yet, so I was jerked forward. I stumbled towards her and dragged her to the ground with me.

"Well, at least that was something.", she said and then began to laugh out loud.

"Are you laughing at me right now?"

"A little maybe."

She continued laughing and infected me with it. Wow, I felt so much for her, even though I didn't remember. We sat up again.

"I haven't laughed like that in a long time."

"I can imagine."

She looked at me questioningly.

"Ned told me you- you had to kill someone."

"Yes, but that's not all. I was shot in a fight and almost died in the process, then I was reasonably well again and you broke up with me. We got back together, then I was attacked in my apartment and had to kill the guy, but actually it wasn't even intended. I lost control, I had just recovered from it and then you were gone, I was looking for you for days and now, yes, now we are sitting here and you have lost your memory. Before that, a lot of crap had happened, but also enough good things. And luckily you were actually always there for me.”

I looked at her in shock, that sounded terrible. I hugged her.

"I urgently need to finally remember I don't even know what happened and what you recently went through, I could say the wrong things.”

My gaze fell on the necklace that Lyra was wearing. It looked so familiar to me.

“Nice necklace, where does it come from? It looks familiar to me.”

“It's yours, you gave it to me.”

She took off the necklace and put it in my hand.

"There's something engraved on the back, you'll remember that too."

The necklace shone and I looked at it carefully before I put it back on Lyra.