one

It's so cold. Why is it so cold?

"Danielle? Can you hear me?" I hear my dad's voice pleading.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

"I need you to stay with me, Danielle!" comes another voice I don't recognize.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

"Danielle, baby, please. I can't do this alone!" my dad's voice frantically rings through again.

"We're losing her!" says the unfamiliar voice.

Beep.

"Please... Danielle PLEASE!" my dad cries.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

All that can be heard over the heart monitor flatlining is the sound of a baby's cries.

My cries.

***

My body jolts awake, and I sit straight up, drenched in sweat. My eyes are trained blankly ahead while I try to control my breathing. 

In. Hold. Out. In. Hold. Out. In. Hold. Out.

It happened again. My mom's death replays in my dreams almost every night.

I reach over and grab my phone to check the time. Six o'clock in the freaking morning.

"Ugh." I huff, falling back into my mountain of pillows. I don't have to be awake for another two hours, and I know I won't be able to fall back asleep. As I lay in bed, I stare at the ceiling, trying to erase the images that keep flashing through my mind.

After a few minutes of sulking, I decide to check my notifications and notice a text from Nat.

Nat

I can't wait to watch you rock the stage tonight babe! Love you, see you later.

Of course, she's awake.

I let a small smile come across my lips at one of my closest friend's words. Nat and Wanda come every Friday night to listen to me perform at my family's restaurant. They're always there no matter what's going on in their lives. I can't help but feel my heart swell with love as I think about my best friends.

I reply with a quick 'So excited to see you, love you babe!' and lock my phone.

I roll out of bed and decide to jump in the shower before going downstairs for some breakfast. I turn the knob to the hottest setting and strip down while I wait for the water to heat up. After brushing my teeth, I hop in the shower and allow the scolding water to engulf me as I let out a content sigh. I shampoo and condition my long hair thoroughly, following up with washing my face and body. Finally feeling ready to start my day, I turn the water off and get out, wrapping a fluffy white towel around my body.