twelve

I look to my right and watch Cleo as she gazes out the window, watching the trees as they roll by

I look to my right and watch Cleo as she gazes out the window, watching the trees as they roll by. The sigh she let out was so soft, I thought I had imagined it. She looks so beautiful. The way her orange locks fall down like silk. The way her lips curl into the faintest smile as she lays her head back against the headrest and closes her eyes.

"So," the melody of her voice brings me back to Earth. "what are we doing?" she smiles, turning her head towards me.

"That, sweetheart, is for me to know and for you to find out when we get there." I chuckle, returning my attention to the road.

"Alright, alright." she holds her hands up in mock surrender. "You win." she giggles before looking back out the window.

The rest of the short drive is spent in comfortable silence, with Cleo occasionally humming along to the radio that's playing softly. It isn't long before we pull down Rampart Street and I see her perk up out of my peripheral.

"The Cajun-Zydeco festival?!" she exclaims excitedly, turning from the window to peek at me. "My dad and I come here every year!"

"I figured you'd enjoy the atmosphere... I know one of the bands playing tonight, maybe I can introduce you!" a smile plays on my lips at her reaction as I throw the car in park and rush out to open her door.

"Who is it?" she questions while taking my hand and getting out of the passenger side. I close her door behind her and intertwine my fingers with hers, leading her towards the festival.

"Sweet Cecilia," I breeze. She stops in her tracks and her jaw hits the floor.

"SWEET CECILIA?! You're kidding, right?" she raises an eyebrow at me and I shake my head in return. "How do you know them?"

"I crossed paths with them at a pub in Brooklyn. They were performing that night." I shrug as I take her hand in mine again and continue making our way to the huge crowd surrounding the stage. "Are you a fan?"

"You could say that." she giggles and nestles into my arm which makes me chuckle softly.

I guide her through the swarm of people and towards the back of the stage. My smile widens as I spot Callie standing next to Laura and Maegan, warming up their vocals. Cleo lets out a small squeal and her grip on my arm tightens a little bit. I glance down at her and see that her smile had grown even wider than before.

I can't deny that seeing her like this makes my heart burst. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for her and I've know her for a little over twenty-four hours. The girl had me wrapped around her finger and she didn't even know it. I shake my head to myself and turn my attention back to the group of women.

"Ahem" I clear my throat rather dramatically, grasping their attention.

"JAMES BUCHANAN BARNES!" Callie yelps. I release Cleo and open my arms as she comes barreling into my embrace. She steps back after a few moments and lightly punches my shoulder. "Where have you been?!"