seventeen

Warning: mention of sexual assault and angst. Proceed with caution.

You are more than welcome to skip this chapter, but please keep in mind that it is pretty significant to the story line. I will try my best to talk about it in much less detail throughout the rest of the story but I also don't want to overkill the topic.

---------------------------------------------------

"You're probably going to want to sit down for this

"You're probably going to want to sit down for this." I say, my voice just slightly above a whisper as I motion for him to sit at the small table that's backstage.

He furrows his eyebrows together and sits down reluctantly, seemingly tense about whatever I have to tell him. I take the seat across from him after a few moments, plopping down and letting out a long, anxious sigh before I'm able to muster up enough courage to meet his eyes.

"So..." I trail off, already losing the small sliver of confidence I managed to conjure before I sat down. I let out a shaky breath to ground myself before clearing my throat.

"A little over a year ago, Kol and I were out on our weekly date. It was something I insisted on, since things were getting pretty rocky between us, what with him cheating and all." I notice James's face churn in disgust at the mention of Kol's indiscretions but I continue speaking. "I stupidly took him back afterwards, believing his pathetic excuse and promise that he'd change... that he'd be better for me..."

I pause again, shaking my head as a resentful scoff leaves my lips. "I was wrong... so terribly wrong." tears fill my eyes as my lip begins to quiver. I want James to know. I want to tell him, but having to relive that night makes the pain feel fresh. Like it just happened yesterday. He reaches up and wipes away the tear that managed to escape.

James doesn't say anything. He doesn't push or ask questions. He simply waits until I'm ready to speak, letting me pace myself as I need. I take yet another deep breath, subsiding the tears enough for me to continue.

"Anyways... the night of our date, he thought it'd be nice to do something out of our comfort zone. I agreed, because I myself was growing tired of the restaurants and movies and walks in the park." James continues drawing random shapes on the back of my hand as I speak, which helps calm my anxiety a little bit. "He claimed to have set up a picnic in the Bayou, it wasn't too far from Nat's pack house so I thought nothing of it. He drove us out there and sure enough, there was a picnic set up. But something felt wrong. The moment my feet hit the dirt, I immediately got a bad feeling."

"We started walking towards the picnic area he had set up and the pit in my stomach just kept growing and growing with every step I took. My body was telling me to run but my mind was telling me that Kol would never physically hurt me. I was a fool. So, against my better judgement, I went along with it. We sat, we ate, we talked. Everything was normal for a little bit..." I stop myself as my voice begins to tremble at the thought of that night.