twenty-two

To my baby girl,

To my baby girl,

If you're reading this, you've found the one.

The one who makes you happier than you thought was even possible. The one who makes your soul sing. The one who consumes your entire being. Your soulmate. And for that, I couldn't be any more proud of you.

Tears begin fill my eyes as I sit at my vanity and read the letter my mom wrote for me. Tears that will surely ruin Nat's handiwork if they fall and the woman will murder me if I ruin my makeup that she spent so much time on. But I can't help it... the words that were written so long ago hold so much truth, and the simple fact that they're from the woman I never got the chance to meet... the woman that I killed by being born... makes them so much more meaningful.

Your father tells me it's way too soon for me to be worrying about bestowing my wisdom upon you, that you aren't allowed to date ever, but even he knows the power of a soulmate link. It's inevitable. Eventually they stumble into your life and they won't leave any room for debate. They are yours and you are theirs. Irrefutably.

Just like your father is mine the same way that I am his.

I couldn't wait to get these words onto paper, ready and waiting for the day it happens. I know I won't be there to witness it so I made sure your father knew to give this to you when the time came. He's an excellent judge of character and if he thinks you've found the one, then I trust his instinct.

What does she mean she knew she wouldn't be here?

I want you to live your life with no regrets. To allow this person in and never let them go. It will be the most epic love you'll ever experience. That is until you have a child of your own. Then, and only then will that feeling be matched, over powered even.

The moment I fell pregnant with you, I couldn't stop crying. Not because I was scared or wasn't ready, but because I knew that my love for you would take precedent over all others. There isn't anything I wouldn't do or forfeit in the name of you. Even myself.

A tear finally descends down my cheek and a stream follows behind it. She probably didn't even realize just how accurate her own words would eventually become. She sacrificed herself so that I could live, so that I could have a chance at life.

Your life is going to change. This person will flip it upside down and inside out, and it's up to you whether you let them or not. I hope you take the chance and allow them to know you. All of you. Every piece of you, the good, the bad and everything in between. I want you to let yourself fall into the unknown and give everything you can to this person. I bet they're perfect for you and worth every single tear and heartache that led you to them. I wish I could know them.

I wish I could know you.

I wish I could know you too, mama.

I have to stop reading and take a deep breath. Nat is going to kill me for messing up her masterpiece. I'll try to fix it before I go downstairs and she notices. Everyone's down there waiting on me, so I go back to reading the rest of my mother's words.