nine

I feel a bead of sweat drip down my temple

I feel a bead of sweat drip down my temple. This can't be happening... I'm immortal. I can't get drunk. Believe me, I've tried.

Cleo and I have gone through thirteen shots in the last hour. Each. I thought they were exaggerating when they said how much whisky she could consume in one sitting. They weren't.

"You okay there, pal?" Steve asks from across the table, pulling me from my thoughts. I look up and see everyone staring at me with apprehensive looks on their faces. I didn't even realize that I zoned out. I shake my head in an attempt to regain my senses.

"I'm not sure." I say simply. Steve raises his eyebrows in confusion.

"What do you mean by that?" he retorts, voice laced with worry.

"I..." I trail off, still trying to wrap my head around how I could possibly be drunk. It's not possible... right? "I think I'm... drunk?" I answer as my eyebrows pull together.

Steve throws his head back in a fit of laughter causing everyone at the table to give him a confused look. His howls die down when he notices their expressions. He looks back at me, opening and closing his mouth trying to find something to respond with.

"Wha-what do you mean you think you're drunk?" Steve finally says. "That's literally not possible. We've been trying for over two and a half centuries." he points out.

"I'm just as confused as you are, pal." I shrug.

I remember what it feels like to be drunk from before I was turned. Steve and I have had our share of pretty crazy nights back then. This is exactly what it was like.

"Wait, I thought you guys were joking. You really can't get drunk?" Cleo questions, her lips slightly parted in shock.

"Apparently I can." I shrug again, looking down at the table. Cleo laughs loudly, pulling my attention back to her as I raise a single eyebrow at her.

"Oh, you're definitely losing this bet." Cleo smirks, standing up from her seat. She holds her hand out to me and motions for me to get up. I glance at her hand then back at her before taking it and shuffling to my feet. "We all are going to dance. Come on."

Everyone files out of the booth and we all retreat to the dance floor. I stop in my tracks, pulling Cleo's hand as I do, making her stop as well. I can see the the bemusement taking over her features as she turns around to face me, furrowing her perfect eyebrows.

"Is everything okay, James?" she asks, stepping closer to me. I nod slowly as my eyes rake down her figure, drinking her in. God damn, she looks so good. When my eyes return to hers, I find her smiling softly at me.

"Mhmm," I finally hum, closing my eyes, letting the whisky do it's job for the first time in almost three hundred years. My hands grab the sides of her face as I rest my forehead against hers. Her hands slowly glide up my forearms, making their way to mine. She closes her eyes as well, sighing deeply in content. A smile pulls at my lips and we stay like this for a few moments, soaking each other in. I can hear her heart beating steadily and her body relaxing under my touch.