twenty-four

"Did you miss me, darling?" I hear Kol ask from the other side of James

"Did you miss me, darling?" I hear Kol ask from the other side of James. His hand is still wrapped around my waist protectively, keeping me behind him.

"I have to hand it to you, it was bold of you to set foot on my turf." James releases me and takes an intimidating step forward, letting out a low growl while he rolls his head back. I hear the sound of his neck cracking and I can already tell that what's about to happen goes against the only rule in Furnace. "But it was also very stupid." he seethes.

"I just want the girl, Barnes. No one needs to get hurt." he says. James chuckles humorlessly and shakes his head.

"Over my dead body." he sneers, venom dripping from his words.

I peek over James's shoulder and I can see Kol's jaw clench from here. He hates not being in control, but he knows that if it were to be a battle between him and James, he'd die a brutal death.

So it begs the question... why is he here? He knows he can't win, so what's his game? I don't have much time to contemplate the reasons before a chilling laugh escapes Kol's lips.

"That can be arranged." he muses, a menacing smile plastered on his face. Something inside of me awakens at Kol's threat.

A sudden wave of confidence washes over me at the simple thought of James being harmed because of me. I can't let that happen. I reach forward and squeeze James's shoulder, causing him to peer back at me with a questioning look on his perfect face. I give him a simple nod, praying to whatever god that's listening that he'll catch onto my next move before it's too late.

I come out from around him and take a step forward, my eyes bore into Kol's as I take another. And another. And another until I'm within arms reach of the pathetic excuse of a man standing in front of me. You can do this, Cleo. You are not weak.

"I'll go with you." I say softly. His eyes widen drastically and flick to James, a smug smirk making it's way onto his lips.

"Cleo," James growls from behind me. I don't respond or turn around. I simply keep my eyes on Kol.

My heart is hammering in the confines of my chest and I hope and pray that he couldn't her it. If he could, my plan would go out the window. If there's one thing I know about Kol, it's that in his own sick and twisted way, he cares deeply for me. And I plan to use that to my advantage.

"I've missed you so much, Kol." I whisper, the lie rolling off of my tongue like silk. And judging by the look on his face, he ate up every single word.

I throw my arms around his neck to seal the deal. He hesitates for a moment and in that moment, I'm convinced that he's figured out my play. But he puts that thought to rest when his arms wrap around my waist.

"You have no idea how long I've waited for this moment, darling." he sighs into my hair. I have to bite my tongue in order to suppress the disgusted groan from crawling it's way up my throat. I don't know how, but I managed to turn the both of us around so that Kol's back was facing James.