fifteen

James has been acting weird the last few days

James has been acting weird the last few days. He's hasn't been his usual, flirty, charming self. He's been short and tense... distant. I've been internally freaking out since Monday night when he didn't call. Instead, he sent a text that said he'd be MIA for a few days which left me more confused than anything.

And very sexually frustrated, might I add...

All I could do was wonder if I did something wrong. Should I have just kept my question about Klaus to myself? Did I scare him away?

Surely not, right?

He told me he'd wait until I was ready and I told him the same thing. The rest of that morning was normal, so why push me away now?

My train of thought is interrupted when Nat snaps her fingers in front of my face, capturing my attention. "Helllloooo? Cleo? Have you been listening to me?" I shake my head, pushing my worries to the back of my mind and meet her gaze.

"Sorry... I just zoned out." I shrug my shoulder in an attempt to downplay my anxious state.

"Is it James? Babe, you know he wouldn't ghost you. Maybe he's taking care of some Furnace stuff." she tries to soothe my mind, already seeing straight through my façade. "Have you texted him?" she asks.

I nod, having texted him a couple times since Monday only to receive radio silence in return. "I did this morning, asking if he was going to be able to come tonight..." I pause, my eyes flicking to my fidgeting hands as they rest on my lap. "No response yet."

"It's only four, he still has a good bit of time. Just have faith in him, babe." she smiles softly, throwing her arm around my shoulder and pulling me closer to her. I rest my head on her shoulder, gladly welcoming her comfort.

As soon as I let my eyes close, my phone rings loudly making the both of us jump. I quickly reach for my phone on the table and see James's name come across the screen. I peek over at Nat, who's already giving me a smug smirk knowing that she was right. I roll my eyes and giggle at her before sliding the button to answer the call.

"James?" I rush out a little faster than I had intended to, causing Nat to snicker from my right.

"Hi, sweetheart. I'm so sorry I didn't call sooner. I've been..." he pauses and I hear shuffling on the other side of the phone. "tied up with some business I had to take care of."

"Oh, uh... It's okay. I was just worried about you." I say softly. And it was true. My mind was jumping to conclusions that truly scared me. That he was dead in a ditch somewhere, or worse... with someone else.

He chuckles deeply and it sends shivers through my body. "That's adorable, babydoll." I hear a car door shut before he speaks again. "But I'm alive and well, and I want to see my girl." the smile that sweeps it's way across my face at his words makes Nat raise an eyebrow at me and silently mouth a 'what'.