{Chapter 22}

MASSIVE THANKS TO AmHjonk_ for saving my ass and writing the entire fight scene down below. Could've done it without her 😭

Chapter warning: Blood

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Isha's POV:

"Run everybody run!" The sirens blared and every being was scampering away from the city square. I could feel a massive shockwave all the way up to my house. Vehicles rushed in and the police were well on their way. We didn't anticipate it to be this early.

     I threw my glasses into a drawer and hurriedly put in contact lenses. Then I clumsily dumped all the inventions I could get my hands on inside my bag. The SP gun, the GPS, the Prototype-300.

     I zipped it all up and picked up my board. Kicking the door open, I sprinted down the streets.

     Shiela, Erricah, Sabrina... You all better be safe.

     The weight of the bag was unbearable, I forgot to throw away my notebooks and all the other useless junk I had. The authorities were too busy guiding the citizens to safety, none bothering to stop me from going in the opposite direction.

     Gunshots could be heard coming from the city square, I just hoped my friends were okay. I lost breath and glanced at my board. I popped it down and stepped on it, slowly shifting my weight until I was sure I wouldn't fall. The board hovered up with a whoosh and soon I was zipping my way through the throngs of people rushing away from what I assumed was the source of it all. The gunshots abruptly stopped. I looked up and a trail of smoke could be seen emerging from the center.

     I reached the main road, avoiding the cars, stalls, and unconscious residents littered along the streets. I saw my friends fighting, I was about to shout until a punch landed on my stomach, sending me flying back harshly to the ground. In front of me was a girl shrouded in dark magic. Rows of knives were all lined up on the belt fastened around her waist, her chestnut-colored hair pulled together in a ponytail as she regarded me with her frosty cool gaze.

     Is this Roxanne? Sabrina's friend?

     "Pests like you should stay away from the battle," She took her knife out and stared directly into my eyes. "You were with them, weren't you? Behind the ice brat, I know a familiar face when I see one."

     I gulped and adjusted my bag. Was there no other way around her?

     Gathering all my courage, I went ahead and dashed to her right. Roxanne lunged towards me but fortunately, she wasn't fast enough.

     Allowing myself a sigh of relief, I took a short glance behind my back. My stomach dropped at the sight of a knife darting towards me. I abruptly stopped my board and raised it, transforming it into a shield. The blade skidded right off the barrier, clattering against asphalt as soon as it landed. I turned to scowl at her.

     "Hey! That's dangerous—"

     Another knife hit the shield with a thunk. From the corner of my eye, I could see her continue to pull out more knives from her belt, throwing them in rapid succession while she quickly closed the distance between us. This was bad. I couldn't speed off without turning the shield back into the board. And to do that, I'll need to leave myself vulnerable for a few seconds which is enough to get hit.

     Or... I could fight back?

     New plan in mind, I carefully watched as she made her way towards me.