{Chapter 8}

Sheila's POV:

Crap!

     I stumbled and hastily grabbed my amulet, turning the light off. I slowly took steps back and closed my mouth. A lump in my throat formed as my breathing became more ragged. I could hear loud footsteps passing by and my eyes followed the direction of where the sound. To my relief, they kept walking until the sound slowly faded at the end of the dim hallway.

     I stood like a rock, sturdy and unwavering. I shakily held the amulet in my hand and closed it into a fist. It turned on and shone in my hand.

     "What? How am I still fine?" I watched it continue to walk without disturbing me.

     Did it see me? It obviously did but why isn't it doing anything?

     I gulped and turned my gaze forward, far away from the Cokunae as sweat trickled down my forehead. My mouth felt dry, my hands icy cold— I was feeling something between a mix of confusion and fear, shock maybe? 

     Every step I took made my feet feel heavy as dread kept crawling up my back, daring me to turn around. And each time, I did, only to see I was alone in the dark with no one else.

     I honestly didn't know what I'm doing. With each step I took going up the spiral staircase, a new question had appeared in my mind. Why did it avoid me? Why didn't it hurt me? Weren't they supposed to secure the cube from strangers?

     I came to a halt as soon as I realized I was now on the topmost floor. So far, this was the weirdest castle I've ever seen. I took out the folded map in my pocket and spread it out. I traced my fingers along the rooms depicted until I managed to pinpoint where I was- I was now at the blurred area on the map.

     There should be a single door at the end and at the other side, I think? I don't know.

     I wonder how Ashley's doing? Is she relaxing on the other side of the planet in her castle? She's probably worried about me.

     I grazed the rough wall with my right hand while the other held the map. It wasn't easy having an existential crisis while walking down a hallway, is it not?

     I stopped at the end of the hallway where exactly a single door stood in front of me. Paranoid, I looked behind me but nothing was there, just an empty hall with nothing in it. This castle sure did give me my daily dose of anxiety. I turned back to the door and observed it.

     It had a circular handle made out of brass. My hand scaled the dark mahogany framing and wondered to myself. Who built this? Surely it wasn't the Cokunae, or was it?

     I pressed my ears to the doorway and heard nothing. I stepped back and took a deep breath as I held the handle, ready to see what was on the other side. I turned my wrist and-

     "Whoa!" I gasped as the door opened by itself. I was greeted by another Cokunae, this time I was sure it absolutely saw me. I smiled at it awkwardly like an idiot and contemplated if I should shoot it with my ice or not. It lifted its claw and my eyes closed on instinct as I braced myself for what was about to come.

     I felt something gently poke my shoulder. I opened my eyes and it was lightly prodding me with its claws.

     "Um..." I saw it gesture at me to move away. Confused more than ever, I took a step aside to make way. It tilted its head and stared at me before leaning close enough to the point that I can see my distressed reflection in its eyes. It was only a brief moment of tension until it decided I was nothing of importance and continued walking past.