Part Twenty-Eight: The Invite

Lucy's POV:

Jamie had asked what the deal that Blake and I were talking about and I wanted to tell him but I didn't want to make him feel awkward or anything like that. Taylor had gone over to talk to Michael.

L: umm it's just about business. Nothing important. Are you still coming with us later to look at houses?

J: yeah if the offer still stands...

I felt bad because I've been trying to finish up work all morning so that I can have time to hangout with Jamie and not have to worry.

L: Of course! I have a meeting after the race but after that I am free for the rest of the day.

J: no worries.

L: sorry I know I invited you here and you've hardly saw me....

I moved to stand in front of the window to watch the start of the race.

J: no it's ok. Honestly I get it you came here for work spending time with me was just a bonus ;)

I knew he was trying to make light of things but I did feel bad. I did want to spend time with him I just had to get stuff done first.

I laugh.

L: I mean you're not lying. Have you ever been to a race before?

J: nope. This is my first one.

L: well I'm glad I get to witness this with you. You're going to love it.

J: so grown men just drive in a circle?

L: it's a little more complicated than that. I mean yes it is but they have to turn right and left and they are going like 200-300km/hr.

J: that's actually really cool. You like cars?

L: yeah. I grew up around them. You?

J: yeah my dad used to love them.

L: so what do you have planned before the trip?

J: I have training but that's optional and I have a few meetings but that's through Zoom.

L: so you aren't stuck in Dallas?

J: no...?

I feel stupid and nervous. What happens if he says no?

L: oh ok.

J: why do you ask?

L: oh umm.

Why am I so nervous???

L: well umm I was wondering if you wanted to come to LA before we went on the trip? Like we could just fly out together.... But it's ok if you say no I totally get it. Like don't feel pressu-

Jamie cuts me off.

J: I'd love to go to LA with you. I actually have a place there. It's been a while since I've been back besides for hockey.

I smile.

L: umm ok the plane leaves at 8:30 so you know you'll have to pack.

Jamie looks at me and laughs a little.

L: what?

J: why were you nervous to ask me?

I look down.

L: umm well I didn't know if you wanted to... plus you could have been busy.

J: you're cute when your nervous.

I laugh.

J: so how do they determine the order that the racers go in?

L: the races are a three day thing. So usually it's Friday, Saturday, Sunday. Friday being practice, Saturday being qualifying and Sunday being race day. So during qualifying whoever gets the fastest lap gets pole, which is the front and everyone behind them is slower.