32

"And that's the end of our story."

"Aw, man! Why you always gotta end it like a cliffhanger Hongjoong!" Mars whined.

I had to let out a chuckle at that cute response, it surprised me a little that Mars was acting out of his persona, and so was I. So much so that I did the unthinkable. 

"Here, this is the only picture I have of Dr. Park and Ateez. It's the only one."

His eyes lit up in curiosity as he takes the small photo with both hands and inspects it. Even though his lips were slightly agape I could see the questions linger in his determined look as he squints at the pictures of the eight men. 

I guess those were good enough memories. As good as they can get. 

The other members of Ateez were exactly how I remembered them, Jongho and Mingi's dashing grin, showing off their gums. Yeosang and Yunho were smiling but were not true smiles, their eyes did not crinkle like Jongho and Mingi's while San carried on professionally with a stoic face. 

Wooyoung didn't even bother pretending to enjoy, his resting bitch face carried an annoyed expression. Mars slightly smirked at that one. 

And when his eyes saw his father's he changed. There was no more of that demeaning look in his dark eyes but they softened. His muscles relax while his thumb rubs on the card on where his father is at. His eyes caressed the memories of the father he never had. 

It was also quite surprising that Park Seonghwa wore a smile. Tight lipped-but a genuine one. It was alien seeing my former therapist smile like that, I never once remembered seeing him smile. 

I didn't know how to feel, my emotions of nostalgia halted and I distanced myself from my senses except for my sight, which stared blankly at Mars' swooning expression. 

"This was a picture of my father aka your Dr. Park."

The piece of lamented paper he brings me is shiny, it felt almost knew. It was carefully wrapped neatly in toilet paper as if the owner tried his best to maintain the best condition he could. It was obvious that he had some emotional attachment to that deceased man.

Unsurprised, he was still wearing that tight-lipped smile. Was he scared to show his emotions? What was lurking inside his mind? Are the thoughts in his head restraining him from fully embracing his wife, instead of only covering his hand over her shoulder? I thought he'd be more comfortable around his family but I guess not. Maybe it's because they were outdoors in a public park but the doctor seems traumatized. Particularly family trauma. Perhaps a dose of mommy issues?

"Yeah, he seems pensive here...I always wondered why. Seeing he's stiff around her, I think he was traumatized by her. Can't blame him honestly...heck even I thought about ending her."

"You're getting somewhere. However, I think he's traumatized by his own mother. And he sees his mother in his wife."

"Why are you psychoanalyzing my father like that? You only had a doctor/patient relationship with him."

I couldn't help but chuckle and ruffle his head, what an endearing kid.

"And you? Have you met your father?"

The tips of his ears blushed and he broke off the eye contact.

"Well...um, how...about," he pronounced his words slower than usual, "about your initial attempt to eradiate those 'wicked cunts'?"

Trying to change the topic to hide your shame? Well since he embarrassed himself I guess it should be obvious that he wants to see me be ashamed. And you would think I'm afraid to tell about my failures? After that catastrophe of Euphoria?