17

As said earlier, I am no longer situated in cell 420

As said earlier, I am no longer situated in cell 420. We sway past numerous hallways, turning directions a few times, until they stop me in front of a random cell. It was like any other cell and I could mistake it for my previous except for the contrasting detail of the three digits forming a different number.

Cell #081

They told me welcome to my new abode. And when they opened the door, it was the exact same thing; had the bathroom, blanket, pillow, shelves, and a box holding my eccentricities.

This cell was empty, the hollow squared embedded on the shelves held no toiletries or clothing except for mine. A single blanket and a silk pillow lay below the cabinets.

All the aspects of this peacefully desolate landscape led me to believe I was entering a less dehumanizing version of solitary confinement, with the luxury of sleeping with fully stretched limbs.

"Don't think you're the only one here, the others are coming."

I nodded with a small smile while my heart was a hodgepodge of mixed feelings. Simple arithmetic told me I would be able to completely efface myself from the cruel goblins from Cell 420 however all my efforts of planning a proper promotion to cell leader have vanquished in vain. 

After my second inmate stepped in I knew the efforts were wasteful since I wished Wooyoung would snag that throne however the next prisoner to enter this cell was him.

Former scars vanished completely. The uncharged killer was glowing with health, for the first time dark circles didn't bruise his skin and his eyes were void of any kind of sadness. 

Once they left we were united under the same yet different roof. Basked in silence, we were in the same phase of strangers as I turned my back towards him to indulge in my own wonderland.

A hand wraps itself on my shoulder blade with firmness, as if to speak protectiveness just by its grasp.

"Hongjoong, how have you been?" The light, feathery whisper turns me to meet his face. Wooyoung surely had matured in the span of a few weeks. His face no longer held a childish chubbiness as his cheekbones were slashed and sculpted by fine craftsmanship. That artwork followed for the rest of his body because his narrowed jawline perfectly angled his small face while forearms have lost half of their original mass.

"Your face, it's paler, more lifeless..." his bony hand gently clasps my hollow cheeks and lifted them up to his eye level.

When our gazes fixate on each other, the faded double eyelid stretched the under-eyelids into a pair of ovals. The color painted between his whites is still pitch black, however no longer crushed underneath barriers of hopelessness. 

"Well look at you, you're a changed man too. Are you okay? Don't tell me..."

"I wasn't charged with anything and it was okay. No one dared to even look at me after that day...But you-"