Chapter 25

Jun, you have to stay alive. Only you and her can stop this madness.”

“What the hell are you saying, Lee Siyeon!? We're in this together, the three of us!” 

“That's where you're wrong, my dear Jun. You two are in this together. My job is to make sure you will put an end to this even if I have to sacrifice my life.”

The woman in front of him stood up. Her breathing was heavy, as heavy as her determination to make sure he safely escaped. The enemies outnumbered them yet she was unfazed by it. 

“Leave me, Jun. You can't die here nor you're ready to take them down. You can't do this alone. You...taught me that.”

His legs felt like an unmovable mountain even though the gate was one step ahead. To just leave her to die and escape by himself felt so wrong. 

“No, let's crush them here together. We can do this… we have to!”

“Don't be stupid! You can barely move your body so stop talking big like that. He's not your match, Jun.” 

The red-haired man that she meant smirked. From his aura alone they could see that he was on a completely different level compared to the other Pawns behind him, waiting for his order. 

That man possessed a power more than what the Root can offer. The power to turn everything he touched to ashes. 

“I commend your idiocy and braveness for coming here alone, vessel. Because of you, Black Rose invited herself and thrashed this place down and you two will pay for that.”

The Pawns started marching forward upon getting an order from that man.  

Siyeon made a simple swiping of her hand to the side and dark green thorny vines emerged from the ground before whipping all the marching enemies out of commission at once. 

“Jun, run away! What are you waiting for!? You're now a liability to me!”

“I hate you but I don't want them to get you! Goddamn it!” 

She smiled. She might never obtain his love but what he gave her at that time is more than enough. 

“Thank you, Jun. I want more from you. I long for your heart and I know I will never get it but knowing you care about me is sufficient to fill the empty hole in me.” 

“What are you saying in time like this!? Let at least run away together–”

“No…” She placed her hand on his chest. “Go to her, Jun. Losing her would be the death of you so promise me you won't let that happen… ever.”

Her lips curved up one last time and she pushed him out of the crumbling gate. 

“Don't worry, I will bring this camp down with me to hell.”

He helplessly saw her surrounded the burning camp with the tall vines, trapping the enemies inside as well as herself. 

“Lee Siyeon!!!”