Chapter 27

The forest silenced the clocks, for this place of root and branch was the dominion of the eternal soul. A billion verdant wands of pine wave in arboreal air; for this place was magical, so much so that you could feel it from core to fingertips. 

In the centre of the forest stood a tall black tree, as black as the burned charcoal. Its skin was shredded here and there and inside the gaps between the shreds were flowing black sinister liquid as if it was the blood of something alive. 

The way it beats, sending a sign of life every second to the whole area it resided.

A lone white-haired man in his 60s could be spotted inside the dark forest, admiring the tree

A lone white-haired man in his 60s could be spotted inside the dark forest, admiring the tree. A creepy smile plastered on his face like glue on the thin paper. A little more stretch and the paper would tear apart which in this case, his skin. 

After a while, a young man appeared out of grey ashes behind him adorned in a red leather jacket and black leather pants paired with dark brown leather boots. He looked like a leather-obsessed freak to me. Not judging tho. 

"Hey, old man Sung-Ha, don't you get tired looking at that tree like what, every day?" 

The older man sharply glanced sideways as if the young man had said something very bad. "You dared talk about our Lord like that? He is the one who gives you your power, don't forget that, Cinis."

Pfft! What kinda name Cinis, eh? Anyway, he somehow behaved a little bit. Sung-Ha is his master after all. 

"My apologies… I won't take your time. I'm here to inform you about Aranea. She had fallen. Most likely to the RAT guys." 

Sung-Ha kept quiet for a while. His breath was calmly out and in before he smiled again, looking up at the tree. It was beating faster this time as he made an indescribable face but for sure, he was very delighted. 

"Do you hear that? The Lord has spoken. All the sacrifices we have made, it's all worth the effort. Our Lord is awakening." 

"Yes Sir," Cinis replied, looking at where his master was looking. 

He could feel the heartbeats of the tree, no lie but what he wasn't so sure about was whether the Lord they had been waiting for really will be revived or not. Despite being a member of the cult, he had his doubts.

"About the RAT, what do you say we make our move? We left them poking around for far too long now. It's time they feel the fear of opposing us." Sung-Ha turned back, hands behind his back. 

"I'll do as you order, Master. Oh, I heard the last Key we're looking for is there too, isn't she? That makes our objective easier. Also, her beauty has become a tittle-tattle among our people…" His jaws tightened. "I don't like that… one bit." 

Sung-Ha sighed. "You and your hatred for beautiful women never go away, haven't they? Fine, you're in charge of this task. Take the Key, alive and bring down the RAT to ashes."