Chapter thirty

"Vivamus,
Moriendum est.

Let us live, since we must die."

—Latin phrase, found on pinterest.

—A S T R I D—

ASTRID LIKED WORDS. SHE LIKED to think that even if her weapon fails her, her words would save her. That she could manipulate her way out. It made her dangerous, charismatic. Manipulative, even.

But when her therapist asked her, "When was the last time you ate?" Jonathan's too quiet question didn't surprise Astrid. But every time the question was asked, her words failed her. They died in her throat.

It was always the same question which had two endings; ending one- he'd appreciate her and tell her to keep it up. Ending two- he'd cover up his disappointment and restart the entire process. "And I want the absolute truth, A."

Yeah, she'd lied to him. Once, it didn't end well.

"A couple days ago...?" Astrid swallowed. What was she even thinking when she stopped eating? She'd come so far only to end up like... this?

"This is a safe place, A." He assured her, "Whatever you say here, doesn't get out of these four walls."

Astrid nodded, but he continued, "But why did you stop?"

"It's just..." Astrid looked away and pressed her lips in a thin line, "Everything that's happening is..." She laughed, a broken sound rasping through the air, "Well, too quick. Out of my control. I-It feels as if the only thing that I can control is my hunger."

Jonathan leaned in and said, "Did something happen? Did someone said anything... offensive?"

Astrid scoffed, "I don't care. But to answer the question, no. No one said anything."

"That's good." He whispered to himself, then noted something in his notepad. "Tell me more. The lose of control— it reminded you of something. Tell me about it."

He knew exactly what he was asking. Astrid may have impulsively told him about Aria. She was Astrid Sinclair here— the girl who lost her parents to a road accident, someone who had an elder sister take care of.

"Aria was," Astrid laughed humorlessly, "well, dramatic. And... " ruthless. Astrid wanted to say.

Astrid was looking through the creaked open door. She shouldn't be here. She really shouldn't be here. But... her curiosity would tell her otherwise.