Chapter 17 - Deadly News

Sarah's POV:

I settle back on Jareth's throne and, after tossing my leg over the arm of the throne, tapped my heeled boot with my riding crop. Yes, I had taken after Jareth way too much. I had found out three days after his sudden departure that I could wear his shoes and clothes. I had been surprised but pleased. So, now, I look way too much like him.

I wore a pencil skirt with his leather vest, and other of his things. I had been pleasantly surprised at how comfortable they were. And, even though I hated it when he tapped his boot with his riding crop, I liked tapping my boot with my riding crop. It was a mental thing for me.

It had been two months since he had left. I missed him with my whole heart. I spent hours thinking about that last kiss he had given me in this very throne room. It had been filled with such fire and love. I didn't dare to imagine what might have happened to me if he hadn't had to leave. He wouldn't have stopped kissing me.

I could tell he loved to kiss me. I felt it. And I wanted to kiss him. I missed it. I missed him. If I hadn't been so sure I couldn't love him I might have said that I did. I wanted him to come home very badly. I wanted to see him again.

His frequent letters weren't enough. He told me everything about what was happening and always ended by saying he loved me. All my fears that he couldn't love me were gone. I was able to say now that all the confusion was because of everything that was going on.

I was back in my right mind and only partially happy. I wanted to see Jareth again. I looked over my subjects and called up a crystal ball. Maitland and Karis had left a Fae with me to teach me everything that Jareth might have. I had to rule in his stead while he was gone. I thought I was doing pretty well. 

The Goblins were calm subjects most of the time and I could stand their antics. I looked into my crystal ball and saw a great battle in progress. I sighed and tossed the crystal at a wall. It vanished before it hit.

I relaxed in the throne and yawned slightly. There was nothing I could do but sometimes I got truly anxious. I didn't feel that way though. I felt perfectly at peace. I watched the Goblins for a moment and then stood up and stretched. No one had wished a baby away and for that I was grateful. I didn't know how to change them to goblins and I probably would have adopted them rather than change them.

I walked over to a window and breathed a deep gulp of air. I leaned against the wall and watched the goblins more. Suddenly, I heard a commotion in the goblin city. A moment I was standing in the throne room and the next, in the Goblin city. I had perfected teleporting. It came in handy for a lot of things.

Before me was a group of Fae and Banshees, three Banshees and four Fae. The leader stepped towards me and asked,

"Are you the Goblin Queen?" I nodded.

"Yes, I am she." The leader handed me a message and I opened it. I read through it twice before biting my lip to hold back a sob. I handed it to Sir Didymus who had quickly ran after me when I vanished.

He cleared his throat and read outline the message to all the goblins who had gathered,

TO THE GOBLINS OF THE LABYRINTH AND THE GOBLIN QUEEN

I, Maitland King of the Fae Realm, regret to inform you that this morning at dawn, Jareth, son of Maitland and Karis King and Queen of the Fae Realm and Goblin King of the Labyrinth, breathed his last breath in defence of his land.

He died killing the Dullahan and destroying all hope of the Trolls every remaining united. His last words were, "Tell Sarah I love her and that she is queen for the rest of her days." He died with her name on his lips.

I offer my help to the queen in any way she needs during this crisis in her life.

Maitland, King of Fae Realm

I took the message from Sir Didymus and before my breaking heart could show, I teleported to my room. I flung myself on my bed and sobbed. He was dead. He was dead and I would never see him again. I sobbed until I had no strength.

I had magically locked the door so Hoggle, Sir Didymus, and Ludo couldn't get through the door by any means. I wanted to alone and alone I was. I wanted to nurse my breaking heart alone.

I didn't want to believe it but the message before me told me it was the truth. Jareth was gone and never once heard me tell him what I felt. I could force myself to believe while he was alive that I didn't love him but there was no way to explain my breaking heart  except that I loved him.

I loved him and now he was dead and would never know. The thought brought a fresh flood of tears to my eyes. He had loved me and never once had I done anything to return it. Oh, if only I hadn't been so stubborn!

I sobbed myself to sleep that night. He was dead, I loved him, and there was nothing to be done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

Dear Readers,

I know, I just killed you. I am sorry (I think). I promise to update tomorrow and work on fixing it all. Just give me time and don't give up. You are welcome to cuss me out if you want. Just remember, I LOVE happy endings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And, queenieforever, don't worry. I have plans. I have this all planned out...................................................................................... I think.

sarahlet2999