Chapter 7

The air had taken on a brisk chill the following morning as Amina quickly made her way from the transit station to the Big Bang dormitory.  She was running a little behind and was grateful when the security guard recognized her and immediately allowed her entrance. Once the lift reached the 4th floor, Amina rang the doorbell and waited.  But no one answered.

Am I really that late? She checked her watch and discovered she was only 10 minutes behind schedule.  Amina pulled out her phone and was about to check her messages when the bolt on the door unlocked.  There before her, in his wheelchair, was Youngbae, with his signature baseball cap and headphones on.

"Annyeong... sorry I'm late."

Youngbae was taken aback.  She had dressed down today, no longer in professional attire.  She wore dark washed skinny jeans, red ballet flats, and a blue flowy blouse that was ultra-feminine.  Her hair, which fell down in loose waves down her back, was topped with a black and white beanie.  She was the epitome of girliness, something he had tried to steer clear from based on his earlier experiences with women.  They usually went for flower-boy types, and he was definitely not a flower-boy.

"That's alright. I just got finished up some phone calls.  Please, come on in."  He beckoned her towards the living area while he wheeled slowly behind.

The apartment was unusually quiet.  "I hadn't expected you to answer the door. Where is everyone?"

"Daesung and his manager flew to Tokyo earlier this morning for a movie cameo that he's currently working on."  He paused in front of one of the large sectionals and lifted himself out of the wheelchair to the nearest seat. Even though he only had use of one arm, Amina couldn't help but admire how fluid he moved.  "And Boram hyung is taking Boss to my mom's house until I'm fully recovered... What's that?"

"Oh, this?" Amina pulled out a pair of aluminum crutches from behind her back.  "This is the main reason why I'm late.  I went and borrowed some crutches for you at the hospital just in case you wanted more mobility." She watched as he grabbed one and leaned heavily on it to test the weight.

"Unfortunately, I do not recommend taking these on the subway because they take up a lot of space." She laughed at herself. "It's barely 10 o'clock and I've already made a couple of people mad at me today."

He smiled.  "You rode the subway?"

"Yes." 

"Was it a long trip here?"

"No, not really.  I live in Suyu, so it's usually only about a 45 minute trip. I live right off the transit station, so it's not too bad."

He nodded and tucked away the information for later use.

"So... how are you feeling today? Did you sleep well?" Amina asked before she remembered how their conversation ended last night.  A blush crept up her cheeks.  She cleared her throat.  "I mean, did your leg give you any problems?"

"Neh... I slept well," he replied, slightly amused. 

"Good." She nodded self-consciously.

An awkward moment of silence passed while they looked at each other.  "I guess I better get started.  Do you just want to be examined here?"

"Here will work. I don't mind."

Amina proceeded to lay out her materials on the low glass coffee table and later went into the kitchen to sanitize her hands and gather hot water.  She returned and knelt down next to Youngbae, where he was sprawled with only his injured leg on the sectional.  When he saw that she had planned to sit on the floor, he scooted himself up, and pressed his right leg up against the back of the couch. "Here, sit up here," Youngbae motioned. Amina nodded her thanks and sat daintily sideways on the edge, with her back facing him.  She realized that if she wasn't careful, she could end up sitting on his lap.