Chapter 24

"Amina-shi," Yuri knocked quietly on the door, peering in.  "Someone is here to see you."

Amina looked up from the reports she was working on, her eyes immediately turning weary.  She wasn't expecting any visitors today.

"She says she's your cousin, Hanna."

Amina compressed her lips, finding no way out of it now.  "Sure, please tell her to come in."

Yuri nodded.  And stalled.

Amina continued to look at Yuri, wondering why she hadn't left.  "Is there anything else?"

"Neh," Yuri said, uncertain.  "I didn't mean to pry, but... we've known each other for a few years now, and I never knew you were engaged."

Amina stared back, confused.

"Your fiancé... he came by with the flowers the other day." Yuri shrugged her shoulder.

"Ah," Amina nodded, slowly piecing it all together.  She gritted her teeth, finally realizing that it was the same day that Youngbae had come in for his doctor visit.  Curse David! 

Shaking her head, Amina replied, "It's not what you think, Yuri.  He's just a good family friend, that's all."

"Oh..." Yuri replied, understanding.  "So you're not dating him?"

"Ani."

'So is he single?"

"Yuri!" Amina grinned.  "Just go get Hanna."

Yuri smiled impishly and bowed.  "Neh..."

Hanna appeared soon after, her eyes taking in the small, gray, boring office. "So is this where you spend your time nowadays?"

Amina smiled.  "Neh.  Mianhae... I know it's not up to your standards."

Hanna returned her smile and sat gingerly on a chair in front of the desk.  "It's okay, I guess.  For a doctor." She said the last word with disdain.

Grinning, Amina replied, "Well, what brings your highness in today?"

Hanna's face turned serious, the laughter gone from her eyes.  She looked at Amina and voiced her concern.  "You.  You never texted me back from last night.  And you left without a word."  She shook her head, her eyebrows pinching together slightly.  "What's going on?"

"Mianhae..." Amina said with her eyes full of guilt.  "I should have texted you back.  I-I... was going to, today."

"But you still haven't." Hanna pointed out.  "I thought you had forgiven me about your dad..."

"I have," Amina reassured her.  She shook her head. "It's not that."

"Then what is it?  Why are you shutting me out?"

Amina saw the worry in Hanna's eyes.  She appeared vulnerable and hurt.  Amina sighed softly.  She didn't want her unnie to feel this way.  "I'm just not ready to talk about it right now."

"About what?" Hanna asked, confused.  "We always used to talk about everything."

"We did!" Amina exclaimed, her eyes pleading to be understood.  "Back when we used to do everything together.  Back when I didn't have to explain why I chose to do the things I did because you were there with me, experiencing the same things as me."

She saw the pain in Hanna's eyes and looked away.  "It's just harder for me to tell you now."  Amina turned back and faced her.  "You're not in my shoes.  You don't know what I've been through these past few years.  I'd have to explain everything in order for you to understand. And right now, I'm just... tired."