Chapter 36

"Looks like we're all done.  Why don't you grab Young-ah so we can start dinner?" Mrs. Dong peered outside her kitchen window and worried her bottom lip.  The snow was falling heavier now, its fat wet flakes lighting up her usually dark yard.

Amina looked up from setting the main course on the table.  Her smile dimmed a little upon hearing the concern in his mother's voice.  She nodded and bowed briefly before she left. 

Amina rounded the corner and peered into the living room, expecting Youngbae to be there.  But he wasn't... and neither was Boss.  His shoes were still where he left them, so he couldn't have gone far.  She headed towards the guest bathroom and noticed light shining from a room nearby.

"Bae-ah?" Amina called quietly as she came closer to the room.  The door was slightly ajar so she peered in.  A smile broke across her face upon the seeing the sight that greeted her.  Youngbae was sprawled across the bed, one arm folded behind his head while the other laid half across his chest.  His fingers were snuggled in-between the back folds of Boss's neck. 

She approached the pair quietly, hesitating when Boss popped his head up at her.  His big brown eyes glanced at her briefly before he leapt off the bed.  Youngbae continued sleeping.  Amina bit back her smile as she walked closer and sat down at the spot where Boss vacated.

Youngbae was breathing in deeply, his face relaxed and boyishly handsome.  She hadn't noticed before, but a five o'clock shadow had started to set in along the side of his jaw line and over the top of his lips.  He was all male and... for now, all hers.  She leaned down and quietly whispered into his ear. "Bae-ah... wake up."

He didn't stir.

She tried again, this time by placing a light hand upon his chest.  She rubbed gently.  "Oppa..." she implored, her face hovering inches above his.  "Please wake up... dinner is ready.  And I think your umma is worried that the weather is getting bad."

The sound of her voice broke through his unconsciousness, slowly surfacing him up from his deep sleep.  Youngbae took in a quick deep breath, his eyes fluttering open.  He stared at her for a few moments, uncertain whether or not he was still dreaming.

Amina could see that he was half-awake, his body still disoriented.  She gently spoke to him again.  "It's getting late... We should probably eat and go soon. Before the storm gets worse."

She could see that he would need a minute or two to shake off the sleepiness.  The cuteness of the moment made her smile into his eyes.  "Come out when you can."  Amina leaned down and placed an impulsive swift kiss on his cheek.  She stood up and left, quietly closing the door behind her.

Youngbae stared after her departure, a bemused expression on his face. 

He stared at the bowl in front of him. It was plain chicken stock soup, but Youngbae could already sense that the chopped greens floating on top were going to over-power the dish. He frowned slightly.

The ladies were still bustling about the kitchen, chatting up a storm about the latest herb known to cure colds.  His mother sat down and noticed his preoccupation.  She could tell he was about to say something about her soup.  "Is it to your taste?  Amina-ah made it."

Amina glanced up, hearing her name called.  She could see the mischief in his mother's eyes as she waited for her son to say something.

"Oh. Then it must be good then," he said as Amina sat down in front of him.  Youngbae noticed a small smile on her face as she shared a look with his mother.  It appeared they were both watching him, waiting for him to take the first move.

He tasted a spoonful of the broth, swirling it slightly around his tongue before swallowing.  It was bland. "Neh," he nodded, hoping his eyes didn't give him away. "It's really good."