Chapter 39

Amina quickly grabbed the picture and jewelry box and shoved them deep inside her bag before heading out of the closet with Youngbae close behind. They turned off the lights and rounded the corner towards the staircase. She clung to the banister and felt her legs shake as they made their way downstairs. When they reached the foyer, Amina led them towards the main formal living room. She stopped half-way through the grand hallway when she found her mother heading in their direction.

Mrs. Eun stopped and looked between Amina and Youngbae, her eyes frozen with contempt. "So it's true." She directed her comment at Amina. "And you have the nerve to bring him into my home?"

Amina felt Youngbae stiffen beside her and tried her best to ignore it. "Umma... please. I came here to explain to you in person."

Mrs. Eun shook her head and let out a huff of disdain.

Amina spied her father heading towards them and looked to him for some assistance. His eyes were unreadable as he quickly came to conclusion. He touched his wife's elbow and led her into the formal room.

Amina turned towards Youngbae, her eyes quickly scanning his profile. She could tell he was already getting worked up about it, his jaw and fists clenched tightly. She implored once more, lightly touching his arm. "You don't have to come with me. Just wait for me in the car."

He looked down stiffly at her, his eyes guarded. "Ani... I'm going with you."

Amina pressed her lips together, her eyes swimming with worry. She turned around and followed her parents.

They entered the massive formal living room and found her mother already seated on the imported gold framed sofa, her posture rigid and rim-rod straight. Her father was standing next to the windows. He appeared older than Amina last remembered him.

Amina bowed deeply, her voice amazingly calm. "This is my friend, Dong Youngbae." She inclined her head slightly towards Youngbae as he repeated the same deep bow.

"Annyeonghasaeyo..." said Youngbae.

Mr. Eun nodded and returned the greeting, although he remained stationed at his post near the windows.

Mrs. Eun, on the other hand, refused to acknowledge the gesture. She stared straight ahead, her hands folded in her lap. Her behavior caused Amina's face to burn with humiliation. "Umma..." she beseeched one last time, her teeth clenched in frustration.

Mrs. Oh walked into the room, her eyes hesitantly going towards her employer. She could sense the tension in the room and was afraid to even ask. "Madam, would you like me to bring in refreshments?"

"That won't be necessary," Mrs. Eun snapped. "They will be leaving soon."

Amina felt her ears burn. She fought back the angry tears that threaten to cloud her vision.

"Y-yes mam," bowed Mrs. Oh as she backed out of the room.

"Umma... can you at least try and be civil?" Amina begged, her voice shaking slightly with the effort.

Mrs. Eun eyed her haughtily. "You expect me to be civil? To be polite?" Her lips turned down in scorn. "I have every right to be angry right now," she said.

"Then direct it towards me," Amina ordered quietly, walking forward. "Leave him out of this."

"Then you should have thought of that before you brought him here." Mrs. Eun glanced briefly at Youngbae before returning her gaze at Amina. "Was it not bad enough that I had to publically find out that you deliberately disobeyed us? Ani... you had to bring him into our home too. Did you think I would be easier on you just because he is here?" She glared at Amina, her nostrils flaring.