Chapter 16

"Something's different about you," Hanna sat next to Amina in the dressing room and looked at her inquisitively. She tapped her chin.  "I just can't put my finger on it."

Amina kept a straight face and tried to play it off. "I don't know what you mean." She toyed with the buttons on her blouse as the hair dresser fixed her hair.

Pursing her lips, Hanna narrowed her eyes and crossed her arms and legs. "You look... happy."

Try as she might, Amina couldn't contain the euphoria flowing inside her. She looked up and grinned.  "Is that a bad thing?"

"I knew it!" Hanna exclaimed, her eyes widening in delight. "Give me details!"

A few stylists turned their way. Amina laughed, embarrassed at all the attention her cousin was drawing to them. The hair dresser discreetly finished spraying the finishing touches and bowed. "Kamsahamnida," Amina bowed slightly from her chair. Double checking the pins in her hair, she glanced over at Hanna and replied, "It's nothing... there's really nothing much to talk about."

"Uh huh," said Hanna, unbelievingly. "I've seen that look before.  It's the same look you had when you were seven.  The time when you knew you were going to Disney World and didn't tell me you were bringing me along. It's that same secretive, happy, look."

"Whaaat?" Amina smiled sideways at Hanna.  "You're crazy! There's no 'secretive' happy look."

"Well, it wouldn't be so secretive if you just told me," Hanna pouted impishly.  "Tell me!"

Biting back her grin, Amina relented.  "Okay, if you must know...." She watched in amused fascination as Hanna scooted her chair closer to hers and rested her chin on her fist. Hanna wiggled her eyebrows at her, which made Amina smile wider. She took a deep breath and quietly blurted, "I have a date."

"Jinjja?!"

"Neh."

"With who?"

The shy smile on Amina's face slowly disappeared as she contemplated what to say.

"No, wait... lemme guess.  Is it that guy you met at work last week?"

How convenient that she would remember now. "N-neh..."

Hanna squealed and dramatically clasped her hands together, over her heart. "Finally, my Mimi has a first date!"

"Must you make it sound like that? It's not like the first date I've ever been on!" Amina embarrassingly replied.

"I know... but it's the first one since you've been a 'woman'. The ones in high school don't count." Hanna angled her head to the side. "God, how long ago was that..." She started counting with her fingers.

"Stop!" Amina playfully swiped at Hanna's hands.  "You make it sound like it's been ages.  It hasn't been that... long." Amina's confidence wavered slightly as she mentally counted back the years. Her last "date", if you could call it that, was when she went to the Ball.  Wow, it really had been over six years.

"Mmm.. well, it's been longer than it should have been," replied Hanna. "So, where are you guys going? You know, the first date sets the tone for the entire relationship."

Amina quirked an eyebrow at her questioningly.

"Well that... and the first kiss."

Amina smiled slightly before she remembered where she was at. Hanna didn't miss a beat.

"Omo! Omo! Omo!... Don't tell me you already kissed!"

"Shh! Shh!" Amina looked around, her face turning red, as she tried to cover Hanna's mouth with her hand.  "Do you have to talk so loud?"