Chapter 31

The lingering scent of their lovemaking filled his senses as he burrowed his face beneath the blankets, shielding his eyes from the sun.  The bed sheets smelled faintly of his favorite shampoo, soap, and... her.  His body become aroused the more he inhaled.  He reached out towards his left, searching... and came up empty handed.

Youngbae pushed off the mattress and leaned up on his elbows, his eyes adjusting inside the brightly lit room. The blankets fell down his well honed muscular back until they landed loosely around his hips. He looked over his shoulder to see if she had moved towards the bathroom or mini-kitchen.  But the room was silent.

He heard the door to her bedroom shut across the hallway.  It was followed by the sound of luggage being wheeled away, the noise irritating him, as it faded down the hall. He rolled onto his back and stared up at the ceiling, letting out a short bitter huff.  His jaw harden and his eyes turned stormy.  She wasn't even going to say goodbye to him.

Youngbae sat up and swung his legs over the bed, angrily whipping the blanket and sheets off him.  He padded towards the bathroom, turning the cold showerhead on full blast. 

Amina tapped her foot rapidly against the barstool, checking the time on her phone once again.  C'mon unnie... What's taking you so long? she thought to herself.  It had already been a full hour since she knocked on Hanna's suite, explaining she had to be back early to pick up a hospital shift.  A shift that didn't exist.

She tried to still her shaking hands, concentrating instead on cutting the potato pancakes she'd made as she waited.  She just wanted to leave before Youngbae woke up.  It'll be better for the both of us, she reasoned, her heart stopping at every creaky noise she heard inside the pension.  She glanced nervously towards the hall where her luggage awaited, watching for footsteps on the stairs. 

Forcing herself to look away, Amina grabbed her fork and shoved more food inside her mouth.  She didn't even taste it as she chewed, her thoughts running rampant.  Amina felt her cheeks flush as she replayed their lovemaking from last night.  She could still hear him groan against her ear, his body heat enveloping her throughout the night.  She let out a shaky breath and attempted to spear a strawberry.  But her hand shook so bad that she finally gave up and shoved the plate away.

Amina could feel the emotions rising as the minutes ticked away.  Part of her wanted to wake up by his side, to be held in his arms and savor the moments they shared until they had to leave.  But the other half wanted to shield her from hurt and avoid prolonging the inevitable.

She thought about putting up a facade, carrying on around him like it was no big deal.  That she wasn't affected by their lovemaking from last night.  That she would be able to move on without him just fine. 

Amina twisted and bit her bottom lip.  Yeah right!  Who are you kidding? she bitterly thought to herself. 

She didn't want to say goodbye.  It made everything too final. Unshed tears clouded her vision. She angrily blinked them away.

God, she was a mess!

The sound of luggage thumping loudly against the staircase roused Amina from her deep thoughts. She quickly stood up and grabbed her plate, heading towards the kitchen sink. 

"Anything left for me?" Hanna smiled, walking behind Amina to the refrigerator.  She grabbed a carton of orange juice and searched the cabinets for a glass.

"Neh unnie," Amina said. She grabbed a plate off the counter and filled it for Hanna.  "Here you go," she said, laying the plate next to a set of silverware.  She kept her face down, avoiding her cousin's gaze.  She spotted Hanna's luggage next to hers in the hallway and swiped the car keys off the counter top.