Chapter 40

"That is one ugly painting," Jiyong said under his breath as he stared at the vase painting that was hanging inside the living room of Youngbae's apartment.  He took a step back and angled his head to the side, trying to make sense of the gold and brown swirls.  Maybe it's hung upside down... he thought to himself as he narrowed his eyes and tried to see it from an artistic point of view. No, it was no use.  It really was one ugly painting.

Youngbae tried not to worry as he paced quietly inside his bedroom.  When he had answered the door chime a few minutes ago, he initially thought it was Amina.  But he should have known better.  He had given her a copy of the key to the apartment before she left to work.  And now Jiyong was here... and he had to pretend to get ready for a night out.  He glanced at the clock on his nightstand.

9:05pm.

She should be home by now, he thought quietly.  Home.  Youngbae shook his head at himself.  Ever since she left for work, he had started thinking about his place differently now that they had brought her things.  He worked on clearing space inside his closet for her... worked on re-arranging space in the bathroom for her toiletries... and even hung that ugly painting that she was now so fond of.  He sighed.  Her shift ended an hour ago... and it took less than twenty minutes by transit to travel here. He felt uneasy - something wasn't right.

"Bro... you ready?"  Jiyong called out from the living room.

"Neh," Youngbae returned, shutting off the bedroom light.  He walked through the hallway and headed straight to the kitchen.  "Mianhae... I should have asked when you got here.  You want something to drink?"  He headed to the refrigerator, stalling for time.

Jiyong couldn't see Youngbae from where he was seated on the leather sectional, but he could hear the anxiousness in his friend's voice. "Ani..." Jiyong replied, puzzled as to why Youngbae would offer him something to drink.  Especially when they both knew that Jiyong knew where the fridge was and could easily have served himself.  Especially when they both knew that the only "drink" Youngbae had in the apartment was water.  And especially when they both knew they were heading out shortly to get some real drinks instead.

He heard Youngbae pop the top off a water bottle and take several long swigs before resuming his quiet pacing inside the kitchen.  Right as he was about to ask what the hell was wrong with him, Jiyong heard the sound of someone inserting a key to the apartment.

Amina had stalled for as long as she could at the hospital before heading back to Youngbae's apartment.  She was dreading the news that she was about to tell him.  She unlocked the door to the apartment and found Youngbae in the kitchen, a relieved look on his face

Her heart lurched.  It looked like he had waited for her for awhile and she felt immediately guilty for making him worry.  She put on a brave face and gave him a small encouraging smile as she shut the door behind her.  Amina cut to the chase.  "Some good news..." she said quietly as she approached him.  She took off her jacket and laid it next to her purse on the dining table.

Youngbae leaned with his back against the kitchen counter and watched warily as she walked towards him.

Amina smiled half-heartedly, the smile not quite reaching her eyes.  "I got into an internship program."

"Neh?"  A genuine smile broke across his face.

The ache in her heart compounded.  Amina forced her smile brighter and leaned into him, placing her hands on his chest.  "Neh..." she nodded.  Her voice dropped an octave.  "So next time we play doctor and patient, we won't have to pretend anymore..."

His face turned bright red. 

She became alert.  He usually teased her back... but maybe she had gone too far this time.  "Mwuh?" she asked, looking into his bashful brown eyes.