Twenty Three

TWENTY THREE

___________________________

I watched the road crew run from place to place, getting the gear set up. I kicked my feet up onto one of the arena seat, folding my hands in my lap as I did. I liked these few minutes before we would go up on stage and warm up. It was a good time to think. I could just be alone for a minute before all the chaos of a show went down. As soon as the warm up started everything after that would go into overdrive. So this was always a nice moment for me.

No sooner than I had thought that someone plopped down into the seat next to me. I repressed a sigh and looked at who the intruder was. I really already knew so I wasn't sure why I even bothered. But instead of finding Reed it was Callum. I smiled. "Greeting and salutations," he said as he returned my smile. He drummed his fingers along the armrest of the chair. "So you ready for the big show tonight? It's one of the largest stadiums we've done. You think you can handle it, doll?"

I snorted. "Of course I can," I said.

He laughed. "And I have all the faith in the world in you."

I gave him a pointed look. "Really? Doesn't seem so."

"That shows what you know!"

I shook my head, a smile on my face. I was about to answer him when a blast of music rang out on the stage. My eyes were instantly drawn to it. The beat was what got me first. It was just something you couldn't help but get sucked into, and then Reed's voice joined in. "You can blind me with you foxy lips. I'll let you run me down," he sang out. His voice was smooth and I found it almost addicting. "Big shoes, won't you come with me in the rain—I want you. Big shoes, can you formulate. Anyway is something. I have fun with you. It's non-saturated fat."

I stood up, movig towards the stage. I was tired of sitting around. I was ready to warm up. "'Cause strangers talk be careful what you feel. There's something there. I told ya, I'm not done with you," he belted out. As the words slipped from his lips his eyes flickered to me. He raised a brow and a slight smile curved his lips. I froze on the stairs, not sure what to make of it. "Might teach her tricks to be your heart. She won't let me down. Hey, tangerine you've fallen. Dance with me or notice someone else. I'm going to kiss you on your back." With this he winked at me. I should have known he was screwing with me. It was the only thing he enjoyed other than music. "I feel so... up. Changing me cause I am nothing anyway."

I climbed fully onto stage with Callum behind me. I guess he hadn't much wanted to sit around anymore either. I picked up my guitar running my fingers over the cords, but not daring to make a sound. It was then someone grabbed my hand, spinning me around. I laughed and then I heard a voice near my ear. "'Cause strangers talk be careful what you feel. There's something there. I told ya, I'm not done with you. 'Cause strangers talk careful what you feel. There's something there. I told ya, I'm not done with you—done with you, done with you." His breath tickled my neck and it was like my skin ignited.

I was surprised by my reaction and quickly moved out of his grasp. I stumbled into Callum who easily steadied me. "Can you pretend I'm not French the way you thought," he started up again like nothing had even happened. His eyes snapped back to me, holding me in place. "Over there chuckling with someone else in the dark. Home again, I know it's really you—turning blue now I'm alone seeing space ships in the dark. 'Cause stranger talk careful what you feel. There's something there. I told ya, I'm not done with you. 'Cause strangers talk careful what you feel. There's something there. I told ya, I'm not done with you—done with you, done with you, you, done with you."

♪          ♫          ♪

I struck my hand across the cords of my guitar, signaling the end of the song. I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the next song. I recognized it before the notes had even reached me. I shoved my hair out of my face, looking out across the stadium.I was hot and tired, but I felt amazing. I felt dazed—high. I smiled lazily as I stepped back up to the microphone. I glanced back at my band, leaning over to whisper in Ian's ear. "I'm going to change it up," I told him. As I pulled back I caught the flicker of doubt in his eyes. "Just follow my lead."