Thirty Two

THIRTY TWO

_____________________________

Christmas had come and gone and before long we were bringing in the New Year. And we were doing it in style. Callum and I were getting ready for a night on the town. He had promised to take me on a ride on the party bus, and I was holding him to it. With the way things had been going for me I could really use a night of fun. And this seemed just the thing to do it for me.The bus took its passengers to all the best spots in London, making it perfect for tonight.

I slipped on a shimmery black dress and boots. I looked over myself in the mirror, deciding that the outfit would be just fine. It may be freezing, but who would notice after a couple of drinks? I'd warm right up after getting some alcohol in my system. I left my hair down and wild, finishing off my outfit with dark eyeshadow and eyeliner. I turned away from the mirror, looking at Callum. "What do you think?" I asked him.

He was lounging on the bed looking impossibly bored. He had finished getting dressed a while ago and was just waiting for me. He blinked at me as if he had just woke up. A lazy smile spread across his face as he looked me over. "You look radiant, doll," he assured me. He jumped off the bed, straightening his clothes. He was wearing black straight legs and a button up shirt. He slipped on his jacket, completing his look. "Shall we be off? We wouldn't want to miss our ride."

I followed his lead and pulled on my jacket as well. Once I was satisfied I turned toward him. Looping me arm through his we made out way out of the room and down the stairs. I slipped into our car. I turned on the radio. I instantly recognized the song he had been playing last time he was in the car. "London calling to the faraway towns.Now war is declared, and battle come down," I sang, flashing him a smile. "London calling to the underworld. Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls. London calling, now don't look to us! Phony Beatlemania has bitten the dust. London calling, see we ain't got no swing 'cept for the ring of the truncheon thing."

He pulled away from the house, making his way into the town where we would catch our ride. He tapped his hand on the wheel as he joined in with me. "The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in. Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin. Engines stop running, but I have no fear! 'Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river!" we sang. "London calling to the imitation zone. London calling to the zombies of death. Quit holding out, and draw another breath. London calling, and I don't wanna shout. But while we were talking, I saw you nodding out. London calling, see we ain't got no high except for that one with the yellowy eyes!"

We launched into the chorus again as we hit the city limits. "The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in. Engines stop running, the wheat is growing thin. A nuclear error, but I have no fear! 'Cause London is drowing, and I live by the river!" Times like this—when I was just singing, being in the moment I could forget everything around me. It was always so easy to do that with Callum. He could make you forget everything. "Now get this. London calling, yes I was there too and you know what they said? Well, some of it was true! London calling at the top of the dial. After all this, won't you give me a smile? London calling! I never felt so much alike."

"Here we go!" Callum said.

We zipped into a tiny parking space. I winced as we did. I still hadn't gotten used to how they drive across the pond. I thought I drove crazy but it was nothing compared to here. Everywhere little cars zipped around almost without eve caring. And they drove ridiculously fast. I'd seen some wild driving but Callum's driving took the cake. I climbed out of the car, following after Callum who was already making his way to the bus. It looked exactly like I had imagined it would—a red double decker bus. I would have been disappointed if it had been a bus like we have back home.