40

Sunday after accidentally texting Olivia then spilling the tea for Melody, the rest was uneventful, I even skipped work to have a day off. Unless checking up on my parents and Mason would be counted as an important event.

Mom and Mason are doing quite well, Dad... is still coping. But he'll get around, I'm sure. He even helped Mom set the table, that's a huge improvement.

Monday was as hellish as any Monday could be. Frankly, I was expecting something to happen and the fact that nothing happened, concerned me a little. I was expecting a reaction of a sort from at least one of these asshats. But I received none.

So here I sit, packing my belongings, happy that on this cloudy Tuesday I have an entire hour of break before my next class starts.

The professor bids us another bye and wobbles out. Not wasting another second in the classroom, Anushka, Meilin and I head out.

"Ugh, I think I'm going to fail all of my classes," Meilin groans.

"Aren't Asians supposed to be smart? Some sort of human-computer?" I bite down my lip to hold back my laughter as Meilin shoots me a dirty glare.

"Rae," Anushka warns and I hold up my hands with mock defense. "Anyways, I think we should start studying, the exams are really close... maybe group studying could give us a start?"

"Yes please," Meilin says, throwing her head back. "Why does college have to be so hard."

"Why is life so hard," I add and we sigh together.

Anushka starts saying something, but a familiar voice coming from two doors away grabs my attention.

Wright's deep voice carries out of his classroom as he goes on about the topic he's teaching.

My heart rate picks up, my palms get clammy, a tingling sense runs up and down my spine and I struggle to keep my breathing even.

But as the three of us walk down the narrow hallway, nearing his class, the words Wright threw at me on Friday replays in my head, souring my mood. I clutch my messenger bag's strap tighter and glare at the grey stone floor. Although, as we walk by the open door, I can't help myself but peer inside.

As if on cue, his eyes part from the whiteboard and land straight on me.

The fluorescent light of the classroom falls on his glasses, hiding his dark blue eyes. He halts, the marker in his hand stops midway.

For a split second, I'm caught under the spell of his scrutiny, but I break free. With a huff, I glare at him before looking ahead.

"Do you think he'll fail us?" Anushka asks as we walk by, finally out of his view range I manage to pull my scattering thoughts together and master my racing heart.

I lift a shoulder. "No idea... but I wouldn't be too sure he'll pass us." Moody asshole.

Not a beat later Wright's voice comes again as he continues teaching. An avoidable stinging feeling jabs me, crumpling my heart and taking me by surprise. I don't know what's wrong with me, or what I was even expecting.

Perhaps a sorry? A faraway quiet voice in the back of my head mumbles but I shush it.

Or maybe for an impossible moment, I thought he'll call out my name, or... walk out of his class and tell me to wait in his office for him.

I shake my head. Seriously! What is wrong with me! Why would he even do that! I hold back a groan. I need to sort through this Wright complication as soon as possible.

I can't seduce him when my thoughts and emotions are over the place. Get a grip, Gracie.

I inhale sharply and stare ahead as we slowly reach the end of the corridor and come to a halt in the middle of the hall.