42

I quickly text Anushka to inform her I have a few things I need to take care of and I'll catch up with her and Meilin later as I hurry up the stairs, making my way to Wright's office.

As I get closer, I slow down my pace and fix my hair, fan my face to make the flush go away. Just as I reach the narrow hallway leading to Wright's room, I catch him talking to a student. The guy struggles to keep up with him as he writes down whatever Wright is telling him.

Meanwhile, I stay afar and take this chance to study him. I can't tell in what sort of mood he is, but either way, if I want to seduce him and get the answers to the bits and pieces that are missing in my solution alongside having his name under the paper I have to get on his good terms. As soon as possible.

The way he spoke to me on Wednesday resurfaces in my head and weights down in my chest. It still hurts and I can't understand why his words affected me so deeply. I'm not only hurt but extremely confused too.

No, it's not a good combination.

Regardless, when the guy scurries away, the moment Wright looks up, his eyes land on me as I approach him.

"You wanted to speak to me?" I quietly ask.

He nods and turns, walking down the corridor towards his room. Silently, I follow him down the path into his messy office room.

"Sit." He motions to the chair in front of his desk as he places his bag on the only empty spot on the otherwise overflooding desk.

Wordlessly, I obey and flump down on the chair, crossing my arms in front of my chest and refusing to spare a glance in his way.

"I don't know what you did that caused today's... disturbance, but if you're planning on staying my student and working on a paper, you have to get your act together."

His words perk me up and I tear my gaze apart from his library and glare at him. "I thought I was too dim and thick-headed to write a paper," I snarl.

He has the decency to at least wince at my comment. 

He inhales sharply and runs his hand through his hair before walking to the other side of his room and dragging the lone plastic chair and placing it across from me.

I huff and fix my glare on the window.

"Okay," he sighs. "How about..." his voice trails down and I tap my foot, waiting for him to continue while still looking out the window. "Will you at least look at me?" he says at last; the exasperation draws my gaze to him for a split second.

"No," I snap and shift on my spot, crossing my legs and glare harder at the clear blue sky.

"I shouldn't have been that hard on you that day, it was wrong."

I scoff and turn to him. "Hard on me?" I echo with disbelief. "You outright called me stupid. I did everything you told me to do. Every little bit but the moment I stepped inside, you jumped down my throat." My hands fly as my voice raises an octave.

He gazes at me with an undecipherable expression. Pushing his glasses up his nose, Wright clasps his hands. "You're right. My behavior was wrong. I shouldn't have spoken to you like that." He calmly says, his eyes never leaving mine.

"I don't know what I did to deserve that sort of reaction from you!" My voice wavers and a deep frown creases Wright's forehead as he plants his elbows on the flimsy armrests.

"I wasn't in the right state of mind and I took it all out on you... I truly regret the way I acted out." He sits on the edge of his seat as if trying to get closer to me. His knees are less than an inch away from mine.