49

I survey my reflection in the full-length mirror. The seafoam green dress I picked up earlier from my parents' house hugs my body perfectly, showing the curves that are now harder to notice thanks to the immense stress I've gone through during these months. It also matches my hazel eyes. It's safe to say I look pretty.

Satisfied with my final look, I slip into my coat and sling my minaudiere bag and saunter out of my bedroom.

Melody hasn't returned yet from the bar she works at. With a sigh, I turn off all the lights and lock the door as I leave.

My heels click loudly as I head to the elevator and hit the ground floor button.

Just as I reach the entrance door, Nathan's driver gets to the door. I unlock it and he keeps it open for me to step outside and with his help I descend the few steps.

"Thanks," I softly say as he opens the black Mercedes's door for me. Before I climb in, I pause and turn to him. "Drive slow, I don't want you to race down the highways."

"Yes ma'am."

I nod and get in the car and he shuts the door for me. I lean into the comfortable leather seat and close my eyes. Today was a long day, even though I took a long hot bath after getting to my flat, the exhaustion lingers in my body.

The ride lasts forever, but at least the driver sticks to his words and drives slowly, keeping me safe from potential mental breakdowns.

At last, we reach the hotel Nathan's father owns. The driver jumps out and opens the door for me, helping me out of the car and up the steps leading to the entrance door.

I've come here on multiple occasions, one being after our prom night. The six of us crashed here, to show we're officially free and grown-ups.

I sigh and make a beeline to the elevators, thankfully not needing to wait with these needle heels, I step into the one that's empty and hit the last button to take me to the highest floor of the building.

I focus on my breathing, pushing my shoulders back, and preparing myself for another round of challenges.

The music stops and the elevator comes to a halt. The door slides open and I step out and barely manage to hold back a gasp.

The entire floor is empty, let alone for a single table placed next to the largest window with the best view of the city. Nathan's back is facing me, as he watches out of the ceiling to floor window covering an entire wall of the restaurant.

The lights are dimmed, barely illuminating the area let alone for the few tall candles placed on the table.

Nathan turns as I approach him. The first few buttons of his white button-down shirt are undone and his sleeves are rolled up to his elbows. His dirty blond hair is combed back, and his electric blue eyes are sharp, with a familiar mischievous glint in them. He smiles at me and stretches his hand to me, while his other hand remains tucked in his navy blue suit pants pocket.

I accept his hand and he pulls me into a brief hug.

"Glad you came," he whispers next to my ear, his hot breath tingling my skin, his aftershave scent tickles my nostrils.

I smile as he walks to the other side, pulling the chair for me. I remove my coat and take my seat, placing my bag on the small hanger on the side of the table.

A waiter hurries to us, taking my coat as Nathan settles across from me.

I gaze out of the window, watching the city lights twinkling under the dark sky. "Don't you think you went a bit over the top with reserving the place just for us?" I glance at him.