12 Bonfire

I can do this!

It's just a party. I hang out with some pups and don't bite them then Unk and Zane will teach me to fight not just block. Maybe I can work with the warriors! That would be so cool!

I can do this.

Just a couple hours and it's over.

"You ready, pup?" Zane asks as he knocks on my door. "The fires burning and the food is ready." I nod and take a deep breath. A hand lands on my shoulder and I look up. "This is supposed to be fun Cedric. You'll be fine."

"Thanks..." I say still unsure. Zane sighs then in a flash he throws me up onto his shoulders. I squeal as my legs wrap around his neck and I grab his hair so I don't fall from this great height.

"Calm down bud. I got you." Zane chuckles grabbing my ankles and holding them to his chest. I loosen my grip on his hair once I feel hem holding me soundly as I sit on his shoulders. He won't let me fall. "Let's get to the party."

As we near the fire I can hear all kinds of people laughing and talking. Music is playing and people seem to be having fun.

"Alright C, here's the rules. Don't play near the fire. Make sure you eat something. Come to me or Ray if you need anything. Have fun buddy but under no circumstances are you to fight any of the other pups. There are adults everywhere if you have a problem get one of them." Zane tells me as he sets me on the ground in front of him.

"I know, I know! You told me a bunch a times. I won't fight. I promise." I swear to him.

"Okay Cedric, have fun and stay safe." He says and kisses my forehead before walking over to Unk. I take a deep breath.

I can do this!

"Hi guys." I say walking up to a group of guys.

"Why are you here?" An older boy asks.

"Hi, I'm Cedric." I respond ignoring his rude greeting.

"Yup. You're the Alpha and Beta's charity case. So is it true you are nuts and killed your own mom so now the Alpha made the Beta take you in so you don't kill everyone else?" He asks and the other boys laugh.

"Naw man I heard his mom killed herself so she didn't have to look at him. Then his brother killed himself too." Another boy says and I clench my jaw. It's not true. It's not true. I repeat to myself.

"Guys lay off the kid." The oldest looking boy stops them and I breath a sigh of relief. Maybe this can turn around. "I feel for the kid. I mean it's his fault his mom is dead and you keep ragging on him. I'm sure he feels bad enough knowing his family is dead because of him." The guy smirks and my jaw drops.

He's right tho. It's all your fault.

The thought rings in my head. The others I could ignore. They aren't true but that one.

"Never mind." I grumble and turn to walk away. I tried, that will have to be good enough. I think trying not to cry.

It's all your fault.

"Come on we were just joking." One of the boys says grabbing my arm. "What happened to the kid that nearly killed anyone that came against him? The Beta got you all tame? Or were you just weak to begin with? I bet you just won because of cheap shots... I mean I wouldn't put it past a kid whose mom couldn't even stick around. Wow you must be the most worthless mutt in the pack."

They all laugh. I don't know what to do. He has a grip on my arm and I know I can't fight. How do I get out of this? I just want my daddy and Unk... I want to go home. Ma... did she give up because of me? It's all my fault!

"How's it going over here?" I hear my savior say and the boy let's me go.

"Daddy!" I yell running into Zane who picks me up right away patting my back. I can't hold back the tears any more.

"What happened here Seth?" He asks the older boy.

"Kid went off. He tried to attack me so I grabbed him to stop him. Right guys?" He answers and I hear all the boys agree.

"Cedric?" Zane asks me. Total Beta mode.

"They were being mean... they said Ma dying was my fault! Acey too! I didn't attack him, promise!" I end up whining as I bury my head in his chest.

"Have you seen what happens to the boys Cedric here has fought, Seth?" Zane asks and the boy shakes his head. "They end up a bloody mess. You don't have a scratch on you. So, do you want to stick to your story?"

"I'm sorry sir... he just... he's attacked so many of us... we... we just didn't want him to hang out around us... we said some stuff... I'm sorry." Seth keeps looking at the ground unable to make eye contact with my dad. Wait... I actually called him my dad! It feels weird. I don't want to be replacing Ace but I like calling Zane dad.

"Seth, your father is head warrior. You are in line for his position. In that role you are meant to protect the pack. Especially the young ones. What would your father say knowing he raised a bully? Someone who is meant to be a protector picking on a pup. Should I get Cain over here?" Dad pushes.

"No sir!" Seth yells.

"Go home boy. The party is over for you." He says and the boy scurries off.

"Come on Cedric." Dad hugs me as he takes me inside.