Chapter 36

Y'all I'm so sorry this chapter is all just one massive history lesson. It's all lore DJKSKLD stg I get way to into this sometimes bro

Third person pov

In the beginning, merfolk were not much more than just that. 

They were not magicians or warriors, nor were they sirens or seers. They were simply creatures born from the sea's core, with the upper body of a human and the lower of a sea creature. Though Atlantis had only ever seen glimmering fish species amongst his pod, he'd heard tales of shark fins and octopus tentacles, dolphin tails and eel bodies. Their race, centuries ago, was plentiful and diverse in a way Atlantis had never gotten to know it to be. Though their magic came shortly thereafter, the matter of the fact was that they were just mer first.

The ocean loved them. It loved them, it loved them, it loved them. It gave their race life and meaning, building for them a grand kingdom that has since been lost in time. Atlantis was said to be a momentously large city made of smooth blue stone that reflected the many colors of the illuminating coral situated within and around it. It was a safe-haven for merfolk of every type. It was known for its harmony and beauty, and for the artful culture that was born within it. It was a simple time where peace reigned, when mer were plentiful and their existence was not known to those who dwelled on the surface.

"The City of Atlantis was ruled by a King and a Queen. They're said to be the very first of our kind-- though, it's not known if this is true." Atlantis explained wearily, a fresh cup of hot chocolate in his hands. The mess on the carpet had been cleaned up, leaving only a vague brown stain in its wake. "What's certain is that they were beloved and trusted, benevolent and pure-hearted in every way. The sea loved them endlessly, just as it does all mer. I was always told that the King and Queen were the sea's spirit in mer-form. They're described as powerful, kind beings with glimmering gold tails that would glow even in the deepest parts of the ocean."

This was not a story Toshinori knew, and he wasn't sure how to feel about that. The Number One Pro shifted in his seat, heart thundering. He had always known One For All was ancient, but to think it wasn't a quirk at all was... it was astonishing. 

"There are vague depictions of him seen in Greek mythology on land." Hitoshi noted. The boy leaned back against the couch, looking nearly wistful. "Though our King and Queen were nothing like the Poseidon and Amphitrite written about here, they're the most likely to have originated from our story."

Aizawa nodded, supposing that made sense. Poseidon was the most well-known god of the sea. Only Poseidon was reportedly known for his bad temper, and according to Atlantis and Hitoshi, this King of theirs was nothing like that. Or maybe he was. There was a thrumming in him and his husband's bond that told him this story was going to take a dark turn, as most histories tend to. He pulled the mer a little closer, not caring how Toshinori stared at their matching tattoos with new light.

"The ocean is giving. So giving, in the end, that it felt gifting life and home to its children wasn't enough. It wanted our race to have everything. It wanted us to have abilities beyond comprehension." Atlantis continued with a small smile. It came out looking tired. "The sea gave our King the ability to create, and our Queen the ability to take as a fail safe. With this, they were able to grant their subjects with powers of their own. The King and Queen both planned and came up with boundless abilities. The power to heal no matter how grievous the wound or illness, and to shift even the strongest tides. To bring forth devastating weather, and to enchant with a voice. To grow and shrink in size, to see into the future, to shapeshift and create illusions."

"There was one power for every one mer. Though, we all gained the ability to participate in rituals, even if our magic isn't always the best suited to them. It's why I was able to help Atlantis heal you. Still, as a basis, no mermaid or man could have more than one magic." Hitoshi agreed, leaning forward so that his elbows were propped on his knees. He glanced at his cousin. "At least... At least not until the Queen became pregnant."