Chapter 8

Third person pov

When Aizawa showed up for work the first day of school, Mic and Midnight both thought maybe they'd hallucinated him being all happy and colorful over the summer break. He showed up, hair messy and in its usual style. He had scruffy stubble and bags under his eyes, and that ungodly yellow sleeping bag slung over one arm. His goggles and capture weapon were present around his neck, and he showed up at the same time he always did. Exactly an hour before the school day actually started. It was as though he hadn't vacationed at all. The only give away was his tan.

Honestly, Shota didn't really want to be there. He'd went to see Atlantis in the early morning, dreading going the day without him. Atlantis had given him a cheerful kiss and peppily reassured him that he'd have a lot of fun. He said he'd later demand to know every detail of his day, and he wanted to know about all twenty of his students. Atlantis had already said how excited he was to learn about all of them as the year went on, so Shota was already less inclined to expel anyone despite having gotten rid of an entire class the year prior.

He was also going back on patrol today. It was a shorter shift that happened later in the evening to help him re-adjust, though he was sure he wouldn't need it. His senses hadn't dulled despite not being on duty. The only difference was now he was going to be more irritable. Before, he'd been fine with work. He still was! He was just... more eager to get it over with now that he had someone waiting for him. It was a nice thing, to have something to look forward to other than just a nap. 

"So, Shota! You getting back into patrolling?" Mic asked, plopping down into his chair in the teacher work area. Aizawa had skipped out on a lot, and was only just now watching the entrance exams. Nezu had picked his class for him for the first time since his first year as a teacher here. Shota had really and truly been wrapped up in his vacation, wherever or whatever that entailed. Hizashi had just about a million questions, and he was pretty sure Nemuri had twice that. The woman lived off gossip. Not knowing something could very well cause her heart to give out.

"Yes." Aizawa answered. Simple and gruff-- just like him. It was like nothing had changed! Where was that other Shota? The one who'd popped up over the summer? That Shota had been... happier. This one was just like the old one! Which wasn't really a problem, to be honest. It was just... moderately concerning, that's all. He made eye contact with Nemuri from over his computer monitor. She looked suspicious, her eyebrows raising in question as she subtly jerked her head towards Aizawa. He shrugged helplessly back.

Aizawa tiredly shuffled through the lesson plans he and Atlantis had come up with together. They were... softer than his past ones. He'd given Atlantis some of his ideas, but his were sharp and unforgiving. Atlantis was so much gentler than Shota had ever been. He had never seen human children before, but he assumed they were like most children were, even where animals were concerned. Young, naive, hopeful, and somewhat sweet when they weren't being little hellions. Shota had just shrugged, because who was he to say no to Atlantis? The merman was too bright to deny.

And so here he was, with plans for lessons that would build emotional strength as well as physical. He'd never done exercises like that before. Atlantis had insisted that if they were going to throw children-- literal children-- into harm's way, they may as well be prepared on all fronts. He had an excellent point. He was sure he'd be tweaking things a bit along the way to better fit his character, but Atlantis had given him a good outline. 

"You're quiet this morning. Something happen?" Mic interrupted his train of thought, and he turned to give his friend a flat look. He knew he hadn't spent the time he normally would've with the man as of late, or with Nemuri, but he couldn't help it. Well, he could, but that wasn't the point here. He loved Atlantis and had wanted to be with him, so that's what he did. He'd still make time for both Mic and Midnight. It would just be... later. Probably.