Chapter 21

Thank you for 15k views! 💖💖💖
Still Wednesday
Megan
I sat on my bed, crying hysterically, as Ashton talked through what we would do now. I cried as he called Calum in to explain the situation, then even more when I was told he would have to contact my parents.

I stopped listening in the end, getting into my bed and pulling the covers up around me.

I was exhausted.

I couldn't deal with this all right now.

So despite Calum and Ashton still being in my room, I slowly drifted off to sleep.

-~-

Thursday
My parents were on their way down from Illinois and I just wanted to do something to distract myself. I had to see Ashton more now and Calum was extremely concerned about me, barely having left me alone since yesterday.

So I did something that I hadn't been expecting to do for awhile, I went to talk to Jake.

I got dressed and then left my room, trying to remember the way to Jake's.

Luckily I remembered the way but when I got to the door I suddenly froze, no longer sure if I could go in.

I can do this, I thought to myself. Just knock on the door.

Taking a deep breath, I lifted my arm to knock on the door but just before I could it swung open, revealing a man I had never seen before. He was fairly tall and had brown curly hair and bright green eyes. He was dressed in scrubs so I assumed he was a doctor but I wasn't sure why he was with Jake and not Michael.

"Sorry, love," he said. He had a deep voice.

"My fault for just standing there," I smiled. "This is Jake's room right?"

"Yeah but don't stay for too long, he's got his surgery soon, okay?"

"Oh, er, yeah sure."

He gave me one last smile before turning and walking off down the corridor.

Surgery? Ashton had mentioned something about Jake having surgery but I didn't think it would be this soon. Was it major? Was it high risk?

I shook my head, to clear it, and then walked into Jake's room.

He was lying in his bed, facing away from the door.

"Hey," I said quietly, trying not to startle him.

Jake sat straight up in bed, his head turning so fast I was surprised he didn't get whiplash.

"Megan," he breathed and then started crying. "I'm sorry, I am so so sorry. I didn't mean any of it. I just didn't want you to get close to me because my cancer's getting worse and I didn't want to hurt you but I only hurt you more and I am so sorry, I don't even know what to say, I-"

"Jake," I cut him off. "It's okay."

"No, it's not, Megan."

"It is," I insisted. "I missed talking to you anyway. Come give me a hug."

Jake's mouth stretched into a wide smile and I had never seen him look so happy. It made me cry too.

He jumped up from the bed, hurrying over to me where he wrapped his arms around me.

I'd never been good at holding grudges, and as much as I wanted to stay mad at Jake, I just couldn't. He was my only real friend here, and I had missed him.

You couldn't take anything for granted here and I didn't want to have any regrets. I wanted him to be my friend again.

Eventually we ended up on the bed, talking about what had been happening over the past few days. Jake told me about his dad visiting, since his mum had passed, and the shocking news that he had a sister. He said he hadn't spoken to her yet and wasn't sure if he would be able to at all.

I'd found it hard enough accepting my dad had gotten a new girlfriend, I didn't think I could have handled finding out my parents had had an affair and that I had a sibling I never knew existed.

I didn't have much to tell Jake as I had done very little since our fight other than cry or sit in silence. I also chose to leaving out the whole writing 'die' on my bucket list as our fight had been the cause of that and I did not want to make him feel any guiltier.

"So who was the man that was here just before I came in?" I asked.

"An anaesthesiologist," Jake answered.

"For your surgery?"

"How do you know I'm having surgery?"

"He told me not to stay long because your surgery is soon," I explained.

Jake nodded but didn't say anything.

"What surgery are you having?" I asked quietly after a moment of silence had passed between us.

Jake sighed, looking away from me as he spoke. "They're removing a kidney and part of my liver."

"Oh."

I couldn't think of anything else to say. It didn't sound good but I didn't want to say that to him.

"Is Michael doing it?" I asked after another moment of silence.

"Yeah."

"Well that's something at least," I said, trying to find something positive even though there was absolutely nothing positive about this situation.

"Yeah, I trust Michael," Jake said, finally turning his head back to look at me, offering me a weak smile.

Before I could say anything else, the door opened, revealing Michael.

"Oh, Megan." He sounded surprised. "I wasn't expecting to see you here."

I smiled and shrugged, unsure what to say.

"Calum's looking for you."

"I should probably head back then," I said.

"Yeah," Michael agreed.

"I'll see you later, okay?" I turned to Jake. "You'll do great."

"See you later," he said. We exchanged smile smiles and I could clearly see the nerves on Jake's face. In a split second decision, I walked over to him and placed a quick kiss on his cheek, much to his surprise, sending him one last smile before walking from the room.

I made my way back to my room, not sure if I would find Calum there or whether he was out searching for me.

He was sat on my bed, on his phone, only looking up when I coughed, bring attention to my presence.

"Megan," he breathed "Where were you? I was worried about you."

"Sorry, I went to see Jake," I told him.

"Jake?" He asked, auto  to se evident in his face. "Did it go alright?"

"Yeah it was good."

"Good, I'm glad," he smiled.

"Is he going to be ok?" I asked, looking down before back up at Calum. He'd stood up and started walking over to me.

"What do you mean?"

"His surgery, he's going to be fine, right?"

"I hope so, Princess," he said.

"He has to be."

Calum didn't say anything, instead just pulled me into his arms, rubbing my back soothingly as my worry for Jake grew.

He would be fine.