Chapter 2

Megan
I sat and watched a movie for the next two hours. My parents talked or were on their phones but neither tried to speak to me.

I was hungry and very thirsty but I hadn't had a chance to say anything when Calum asked if I needed anything after my mum cut me off. If she said we're were fine and didn't need anything then I knew not to argue.

Just then there was a knock at the door and a man stepped into the room.

"Megan, right?" He asked as he glanced back at the number on the door (303).
"That's me," I answered, a slight smile on my face.

"Hi, I'm Doctor Irwin but you can call me Ashton. It's nice to meet you."
"Nice to meet you too," I replied.

"And you too of course," he said, turning to my parents who smiled and greeted him in return.

"Would you mind stepping outside for a moment whilst I speak to Megan?" Ashton asked them and I saw my mum's eyes widen in surprise but they left with surprisingly no resistance.

"Is something wrong?" I asked worriedly after the door had shut behind my parents. "Has something bad happened?"

"No, nothing bad has happened," he reassured me.
"Then why are you here?"
"I just came to talk to you about the plan for tomorrow. I know you have your first chemo but that won't be until the afternoon and every Friday, tomorrow, and Tuesday all the kids in your division have group therapy," Ashton explained. 

"I don't need therapy," I protested quickly.
"You might not think so now but I promise it will be beneficial to you in the long run."

"No! This is not part of the deal," I argued. I wasn't going.
"Megan, I'm sorry to say but you don't really have a choice in this. Your parents agreed to it before you got here and every child in the ward goes through therapy," Ashton told me.

My parents agreed? They knew I hated therapy so why would they agree to that?

I decided to drop the topic. I'd speak to Calum later and get him to make sure I didn't have to go to therapy. He was my doctor; of he said no then I wouldn't have to go.

"I'm hungry," I said suddenly.
"You can go to the cafeteria; it's open all day."
"Cafeteria?" I asked, confused.
"Didn't Calum show you around?" Ashton asked.

"No," I said, shaking my head.
"Come on, I'll show you," Ashton said with a smile, standing up.

I followed him from the room, scowling at my parents as I did. How could they choose this hospital knowing I had to go to therapy?

Ashton noticed my reaction but chose not to comment.

"Where are you going?" Mum asked me.
"None of your business," I snapped.
"Megan!" My dad scolded.

"I'm taking her to the cafeteria," Ashton stepped in before it could get any more heated.

"Oh great, we'll come too," my mum said, smiling at Ashton.

We couldn't say no without sounding rude and I knew Ashton would want that so reluctantly, I followed Ashton to the cafeteria whilst he made conversation with my parents.

They spoke about Ashton being a psychologist and me starting therapy. Let's just say I wasn't happy about it.

Ashton dropped us off at the cafeteria before leaving to go and do some work.

We sat in mostly silence as we ate (I had a plate of spaghetti) until I decided to bring up the whole therapy thing.

"Why would you choose this hospital if you knew I had to go to therapy?" I asked.
"It will be good for you, sweetie," Mum said, smiling at me.

"But I hate therapy."
"But it will help you so there's no argument," Dad said firmly, effectively ending the conversation. 

I sulked for the rest of the afternoon which was spent just watching a movie on my phone.

Around 6 my parents stood up, confusing me.

"Where are you going?" I asked them.
"We're staying at a hotel tonight," Dad explained.
"What?"
"We'll be back in the morning to say goodbye," Mum said "Night, sweetie."
"Goodnight, Megan."

"Night, Dad, night, Mum," I said as they walked out the door, leaving me.

They were only here for one night and they couldn't even be bothered to stay for that.

I couldn't help the tears that fell down my cheeks as I lay in bed. They didn't care about me at all.

I had fucking cancer for crying out loud and they still didn't care enough to be here with me.

I tried to sleep that night but I just couldn't. I was watching the Tv, quietly of course as I was in a hospital, and I was prepared for an all night movie marathon.

I just couldn't seem to relax and sleep.

Around 3.30 in the morning, there was a light knock on my door before it opened slowly, revealing Ashton.

"Hi, sweetheart," he said, walking over to me, closing the door behind him. "Why are you still awake?"

"Can't sleep," I said simply.
"Are you nervous for tomorrow?" He asked softly, as he sat down on a chair beside my bed.

"Yeah," I said quietly, looking down.
"What's making you nervous?"

"Well, I've got my first chemo and I don't want to go to therapy. I don't want to share all my secrets with a bunch of strangers," I explained.

"I understand why you're nervous about your first chemo; nearly everyone is. But it isn't nearly as bad as everyone always imagines it. It's one tiny pinch and then you can sit there and relax until the treatments finished."

"That's it?" I asked.
"Yep. And group therapy isn't sharing your secrets with a bunch of strangers. It's about supporting others who are going through the same thing as you, and them supporting you in return. You don't have to tell anybody anything you're uncomfortable with," Ashton told me.

It didn't sound so bad, but I still hated therapy.  Therapists were just nosey people who wanted to know everyone's business.

"Why are you still here?" I asked suddenly. Ashton shouldn't still be at the hospital at this time.
"I can't tell you that. I'm not allowed to tell anyone what I talk about with anyone of the patients here."

"Oh, like patient confidentiality?"
"Exactly," Ashton said with a smile.

"You should probably get some sleep," he said after a moment.
"I can't. I'm tired but I can't relax enough to sleep."

"Will you try something?"
"What?" I asked suspiciously.
"It's a way to help you relax," Ashton explained.

"Okay. What is it?"
"Lie down, for me," Ashton said as he stood up and walked over to the door.

I followed his instruction as he turned down the lights to a dim setting.

"And close your eyes." I did as he said as he came and sat back down.

"I just want you to tense and relax every part of your body, okay? Starting with your forehead and working your way down to your toes. So forehead first, raise your eyebrows up as far as you can, hold, and relax."

Ashton continued down my body and I felt myself becoming more relaxed.

Slowly I drifted off to sleep.