Chapter 3

Calum
The following morning I arrived at the hospital fairly early. I clocked in, changed into scrubs and then headed to the cafeteria to get something to eat.

I knew today was going to be long. It was Megan's first chemo and that was a struggle for all patients. She also had her first group therapy and Ashton had told me last night that it might take a bit of encouraging to get her to go. And on top of that, her parents had left this morning.

I knew their flight left at 8 so I was too late to catch them by now.

There had been an emergency surgery last night which I had been needed for so I was unable to go and say goodnight to Megan.

I grabbed a tray of food for Megan to eat and carried it to her room, arriving at 8.30.

She was awake when I got there, sitting in her bed, staring blankly out the window.

As I walked through the door, her head whipped round, excitement on her face which immediately disappeared when she saw me. I'd be offended but I had a horrible suspicion that she had been hoping for her parents when I knew their flight had already left.

Had they really not come to say goodbye?

"Good morning, Megan," I said, smiling at her.
"Morning," she mumbled, looking down at her lap.

"I brought you breakfast," I said, setting the tray down on the table beside the bed.
"I'm not hungry," she answered, still looking down at her lap.

"I'm going to need to to eat something, Megan," I said softly. She needed to eat because of her chemo this afternoon. Chemo always made people tired and not hungry so it was important she eat now. If it was this much of a struggle to get her to eat normally, then it would be very difficult to once she'd begun treatment.

"I don't want to."
"One slice of toast and I'll be happy," I bargained.
"I don't like toast."
"Okay, what about cereal?" I asked.
"I don't like that either."

"Fruit?" I questioned. She had to like fruit.
"Fruit's alright," Megan said quietly. She still hadn't looked up at me.

"Do you think you could eat an apple, or a banana?" I asked her.
"I'll have an apple."
"Great," I smiled, passing her one from the tray.

"You have group therapy in an hour so I'll come back to pick you up just before then, okay?"
"Ok," Megan answered, taking a bite of the apple.

I would ask her about her parents when I came back to collect her for therapy, and probably mention it to Ashton as well.

Though, maybe her parents had shown up and she was upset and worried about the therapy and chemo today.

Megan
They didn't come.

I had cancer, I would be in this hospital for months, and my parents couldn't even come and say goodbye.

Did they really care so little about me?

I bet the parents of the other kids here would be staying with them. Why couldn't my parents care about me like that?

I couldn't help the tears that fell down my cheeks at the thought of it.

I slowly dragged myself out of bed, letting the silent tears fall as I picked out a pair of leggings and a hoodie to wear today.

Showering quickly, I got ready for the day which consisted of fairly shit activities. Thinking about the day ahead made me realise it was not worth putting any effort into my appearance, so after brushing my teeth, I dried my hair and pulled it up into a messy bun, not bothering with any makeup.

My tears had dried up by the time I sat back on the bed. I got my phone out, checking the time to see Calum was due back in about 10 minutes.

I put on an episode of the Big Bang Theory, one of my favourite shows, to pass the time.

Exactly on time, Calum knocked on the door before walking into my room with a smile on his face.

"You ready to go?" He asked, way too cheerful for someone with his job.
"I guess," I muttered, not happy at all about being forced to go to group therapy.

"Do you mind if we talk about something first?" Calum asked, coming to sit down in the edge of my bed.
"What is it?" I asked, millions of thoughts rushing through my brain. Was he about to tell me I was going to die?

"Your parents didn't come this morning, did they?" He asked gently.

I immediately looked away from Calum, unable to maintain eye contact. I was embarrassed and sad. I must be a pathetic excuse for a daughter if my parents cared so little.

"No," I confirmed, still not looking at him.

"I'm sorry. How are you feeling?" Calum asked, still with that soft voice.
"Pretty shit," I answered, more angrily than I should have. "Can we just go?"

"Okay," he agreed reluctantly, "but I'm always here if you ever need to talk."

I nodded though I knew I would not be talking to him about anything.

Calum stood up and I followed him from the room.

He didn't attempt to make conversation, sensing that I was most certainly not in the mood to say anything.

It didn't take long to reach the room I assumed group therapy was held in.

Ashton was stood in the doorway, waiting for everyone to arrive.

"Good morning, Megan," he smiled when he saw me. "How are we doing today?"

I didn't answer him but his mood seemed unaffected. He was probably used to dealing with kids in bad moods.

"Sit wherever you'd like to," Ashton told me "Well be starting shortly."

Again, I didn't speak but turned to go inside.

"I'll see you in a bit, okay," Calum spoke before I could get away. "Head straight back to your room after so we can go do your chemo."

I nodded as I made my way inside.

In the centre of the room was a circle of chairs. Most were occupied but some weren't, obviously meant for the people who hadn't arrived yet.

I took one of the empty seats and kept my head down as I waited for the session to begin.