Chapter 17

{Y/n's POV}
I turn up to the Police Department and first things first grab a hot drink from the machine.

I notice Misa staring at me again, I finish taking a sip of my drink and ask "You alright?" Misa struts up to me and snaps "Have you been snooping around with my boyfriend?"

I reply calmly "He doesn't mean anything to me" my heart strings pull when I say it.

Misa studies my face and says "I'm watching you, I don't trust girls who wears such poor clothing".

I reply with a bored tone "Not everyone's a model, you just insulted everyone around you in this police department who's a girl and can't afford expensive clothing".

I walk past her and she freezes in confusion.

×××

Ryuzaki starts explaining his theories and methods on the Kira Case in the investigation room.

I ask "So you believe that Kira has a certain way of killing someone?" He nods.

Matsuda nudges my arm with a smirk and whispers "Are you dating Ryuzaki?" I hiss "I'm not dating anyone, back off please".

He pouts and sits silently beside me. I notice Light giving me glances every now and then and Misa inspecting him.

I sigh and say "I think I'm going to go for a walk, I'll be back in ten minutes".

Ryuzaki asks "You want to clear your head don't you?" I nod.

×××

I walk in the nearby forest and trip over something.

I gasp and fall onto my stomach, when I sit up I see my foot has tripped over a small mount of dirt.

I curiously dig through the dirt to find a black notebook, I pull it out and shake it off a bit.

A rigid voice chuckles behind me, I turn around curiously to see an interesting yet horrifying creature.

I stand up and ask "Is this yours?" He replies "Yours now, I've been waiting".

I ask "Are you some sort of demon that's supposed to stay in the ground?"

He breaks into laughter and says "I'm a shinigami. You are the new holder of the Death Note".

My eyes widen slightly, I ask "Is this a joke?" He shakes his head and says outstretching his hand to me "I'm Ryuk".

I put the Death Note in his hand instead of shaking it and say "I'm not interested in this prank".

Ryuk says in a cheery tone "I can tell you who Kira is~".

I ask suddenly peaking my interest "You know who Kira is?" Ryuk chucks the notebook between his hands playfully and says "I know Kira's powers can be passed down by its holder".

I point at the notebook and say "That thing has Kira's powers to kill?" Ryuk nods.

I say "Then I need to take it to the Police!" Ryuk says "You could do that yes. But they will suspect you of being Kira even more worse than before".

I say confused "How long have you been watching me?" Ryuk chucks me a blood red apple and I only just catch it.

The tree. The apple just in hands reach. I catch it before it hits me. It came from an Oak Tree...

Ryuk says calmly "I've been following you for a long time
Y/n. Even when you were making out with Light and rejected him like a wet blanket".

I ask "Did Light posses Kira's powers at one point?" Ryuk nods and says "He was. However, after getting rid of ownership of the Death Note you won't remember ever having it in your posession".

I say holding my hand to my chin "So that's why Light turned back to his old self so suddenly and said strange things in the prison cells".

I ask motioning to the notebook "Can I take this?" Ryuk nods and puts the book back into my hands, I open the book and see all the past criminal names.

I say "With the ability to kill like this which I presume you need to imagine the face and write their whole name, doesn't it turn the owners of the notebook insane?"

Ryuk replies "Usually, most often does".

I stare at the book uncertain.

Ryuk says "Light did have a plan for you before he got rid of ownership, Y/n".

I ask "What is it?" He says "He needed your brains. Light claimed before he got rid of ownership that if you wanted to you could help him create a world without criminals".

I disagree and say "The world needs both bad and good to survive Ryuk. Even if all criminals disappeared someone eventually will turn bad".

Ryuk continues "There was something else as well. He said if you disagreed he completely understood but with all truth he wants to keep you close so he can keep you safe. Whether you agreed or not".

I say "What's with all this lovey dovey shit?" He chuckles and says "That's what Light said, word for word and as honest as possible which was new for a human like him".

Ryuk says with amusement "It's shocking to see how frustrated Light is to try and keep you by his side."

I grip the book in my hands tightly and say "I'll hold onto this to see what happens" Ryuk brightens, I hold up my finger and say "But, I will not use it unless my life depended on it".

×××

I return to the Police Department and tuck the notebook in my bag.

Ryuk walks beside me and says "I've waited so long for you to find that notebook you know. Can I at least get a better welcoming?"

I say "Hello, it's nice to meet you, now keep your voice down".

I walk up the stairs and straight towards the investigation room to find people walking out.

I enter the room and see Ryuzaki, Mr Yagami and Light in the room alone.

I ask with an apologetic expression "Is the day already over?" Ryuzaki nods and asks "Where were you Y/n, if I may ask?"

Light stares at me and I make sudden eye contact.

Ryuk starts chuckling.