Chapter 12 - Your new task

**this chapter contains mentions of domestic violence, please don't read or at least proceed with caution if it is a trigger for you**

It was December 1931 and 8 year old Lillian Jackson stood on a small stool at the kitchen sink carefully washing the days dishes, making sure to not cause any damage or spill any water for fear of angering her father who was already in a foul mood. Her parents were sat at the kitchen table behind her, her father was smoking a cigar and drinking his 3rd scotch of the night while reading the newspaper, her mother was carefully sewing up a small tear in her husbands shirt.

Lillian's mother Anne was a timid woman, she hadn't always been that way, but being married to such a brute for all these years had broken her spirit and she had become compliant and tame.
Anne hissed quietly as her hand slipped and the needle she was using to sew her husbands shirt jabbed in to her finger causing blood to pool to the surface, she prayed to god that Jonathan hadn't heard her. Anne braced herself as she saw her husband lower the paper and set it down on the table looking over at her. She had tried to hide her hand but it was too late, a drop of blood had landed on the crisp white shirt in her lap. She hoped he was just going to berate her quietly and quickly but she knew it was unlikely since he had come home in a bad mood after things at work hadn't gone as planned.

Jonathan reached out his hand on the table gesturing for her to put her injured hand in his, Anne did so, her hand shaking slightly scared of what was about to happen. He squeezed her hand tightly before bringing the lit end of his cigar on to her flesh causing her to scream out in pain "fucking useless slut" he spat, his grip tightening as she squirmed to get away from him.

Lily spun around where she stood at the sound of her mothers cries to see her father pressing his cigar into her hand, without thinking she ran over and started beating at his back with her hands still soapy and wet
"Get off of her! Leave my Mummy alone! You're hurting her! STOP!"

Next thing Lily knew there was a huge hand grabbing a fist full of her hair and her father was dragging her out of the kitchen and up to her room. As she was being dragged away crying she could see her mother sat at the table holding her burnt hand before taking the shirt to the sink to try and wash the blood out. Lily didn't understand why she fought so hard to protect her mother but her mother wouldn't do the same for her.

Her father threw her on to her bedroom floor before kicking her hard in the ribs, Lily bit her lip trying to hold in her cries not wanting to give him the satisfaction.
"Insolent little cunt" he hissed as he kicked her again

"You will learn one day that you have no place in this world other than to do as I say. You will never amount to anything other than a cheap whore. Lets see if three days without food or water will help you learn any quicker."

With that Jonathan Jackson locked his 8 year old daughter in her bedroom and went back to his Scotch and cigar with no remorse for his actions.

***

The year was 1938 and 15 year old Lillian was hiding in her closet trying to do her school work. She enjoyed school and she loved learning and all her teachers always told her how smart she was, but she knew if her father found out he'd beat her black and blue and burn her school work. The only reason he was still letting her go to school was that it got her out of his sight for a while.

"LILLIAN JACKSON!" Oh shit, her Father was calling her from down stairs, she quickly shoved her school work in to her bag and ran down stairs to the kitchen where he was stood looking furious.

"Look at the clock Lillian" Lily looked at the clock to see it was already 6:15pm, shit.

"I know you're a fucking dumb slut Lillian but was it wrong of me to assume you can tell the time?"