Chapter 19 - Looking Behind

There was a tense moment as Bucky and Lily stared at each other, Bucky chewing his lip nervously and Lily's face blank and emotionless.
Steve went to speak to break the tension but before he could even open his mouth Lily vaulted across the back of the sofa and launched herself in to Bucky's arms. Bucky gripped her waist tightly and spun her round

"God I missed you so much doll" he whispered in to her neck

She wiggled out of his grip and took a step back to look him in the eye "Where did you go?"

Bucky took her left hand with his right "to look ahead"

Lily's breath hitched "a-and what brought you back in the nick of time?"

He pulled her in and rest his vibranium hand on her face and leaning in until their lips were within touching distance "looking behind"

He crashed his lips in to hers and they kissed feverishly for a minute before Lily pulled back "Buck, do.. do you remember?"

He smiled warmly at her "I remember everything"

Tears started to fill Lily's eyes threatening to spill over on to her cheeks, as one tear escaped and rolled down her face Bucky wiped it away gently with his thumb "Hey, no tears on your birthday. Why don't we enjoy the rest of your party and we can talk more later, or tomorrow if you're too tired"

"I just.. I just don't understand? Where have you been? How do you remember? When did you get back? Why are you wearing a suit?"

Bucky laughed "what, you don't like my suit?"

"I love it! You look incredible, but I can't imagine you travelled like that"

"I didn't, the suit was Steve's idea"

Lily looked over at Steve who had not stopped grinning the entire time "you did this?" She asked

"I just thought my Princess deserved her fairytale moment with her Prince Charming, and Prince Charmings aren't exactly known for wearing army boots and leather jackets"

Lily let go of Bucky and pulled Steve in to a hug "Awww Stevie, you're adorable" she pulled back and both Bucky and Steve saw the gleam in her eye she got every time she was about to make fun of someone "That makes you my fairy godmother! Oh my god, Steve Rogers are you actually my Fairy Godcaptain?!"

Both men laughed and shook their heads at her, as she looked at the two of them, smiling, happy and most importantly, here she sighed happily "This is the best birthday ever"

Steve went to let the others know that Bucky was back and to give the lovebirds a moment alone.
The music suddenly switched to a slow love song and couples began to sway slowly on the dance floor. Bucky grabbed Lily's hand "dance with me"

Before she could respond he had pulled her on to the dance floor and wrapped one arm around her waist and the other held her hand against his chest. Lily leaned her head on his shoulder and they swayed softly "you look breathtaking tonight doll. Steve is right, you are a princess"

"And you're my Prince charming and my Knight in vibranium armour" she giggled

He stopped swaying and lifted her chin until she was looking up in to his eyes "Say you're mine?"

"I'm yours Bucky. I always was and I always will be"

He smiled down at her "and I'm yours Lily"

"Until the end of the line?"

"Until the end of the line and beyond beautiful"

They leaned in for a kiss but before it could happen they were interrupted "Well if it isn't James Bucky Barnes, finally come back after going AWOL?" Sam clapped Bucky hard on the back, he was quite clearly very drunk.